Honey Nut Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chance9768

Reaction score
OK I had one of those brain farts this morning. I was eating some Honey Nut Cheerios when I wondered if I could make a mead like this. I looked around and couldn't find a rec. for a mead quite like I am after so I figured I would just make one up.(hell its only one gallon going down the sink if I goof it up) I figured I would try something on the sweat side.

maybe take 2 oz of minced almonds and 4 cups of watter. Boil it down to maybe a cup or so. Make a must with 4 lb.s of honey and use some D47 yeast and the strained nut watter(sure there is a better term).

Any one had any good or bad experiences with doing something like this, I would love to hear about it. Maybe I'll make another gallon experiment with a cinnamon stick in the secondary. :mug:

I am sure that a nutty mead could be delicious but the breakfast cereal also contains oats and sugars from rice so those flavors would be missing. What I might do if I wanted to make a "honey nut" mead is make a mash of the breakfast cereal and ferment my honey with a tea made from this mash. Not sure how much of the cereal I would use. There is about 9 g of sugar in 3/4 C of the cereal so that is pretty insignificant compared to the honey, so I might perhaps use a box of the cereal for each gallon of mead I was intending to bottle. May need to use 1.5 gallons of water to obtain a gallon of the tea. This would of course be more like a braggot than a straightforward mead. But this resurrected thread has given me an idea to try something I have never thought about making... and for the record, brewers do sometimes add novelty breakfast cereals to their mash...

Please let me know what you come up with and how it turns out. I have made mead for about 20 years and have come to the realization that the possibilities are endless. Army Mike

Back