CO2 Leak or Normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmac197

Reaction score
I just got my first batch of CO2 and got my system hooked up. I think I may have a small leak somewhere but I can't find it. When I first hooked up the CO2, The pressure reading was at 900 and 3 hours later it had dropped to 800. I think the relief valves are fine, because I primed the kegs and they were holding pressure fine. I taped the regulator hook up to the CO2 and did a dish soap test on everything I can find. I do not get any bubbles. I guess the only thing I didnt check was the relief valve on the regulator and the guages. How tight should the regulator attach to the CO2 tank? I tightened it with a wrench about a half of a turn after hand tightening. Any thougths on where the leak may be or does the pressure just settle?

Thanks,
Ben

I had a pesky leak when I first installed my system. eventually I just tightened and re-tightened everything and now it's good.

And as said above, If you put your CO2 tank in the fridge your pressure will drop inside the tank because gas contracts when it cools.

CO2 in a liquid/vapor state has a direct pressure/temperature relationship, as can be seen in the chart below. The pressure will stay the same, at a given temperature, until all the liquid has been vaporized. Once only vapor exists, the pressure in the tank will drop rapidly.

CO2_liquid_gas_chart.gif

Mr Bubbles is your friend.

Any time, and I do mean ANY time you hook up gas under high pressure (and even moreso if you're using natural gas or propane), you need to use Mr Bubbles.

To make Mr Bubbles, take 2 or three squirts of liquid soap, and start adding small amounts of warm water until you get a thin-ish solution that bubbles extremely easily. Then wipe this solution on every connection, getting it into the cracks, wherever there could be a leak. Leave it for a minute or two, and look for bubbles. If you see bubbles, you have a leak.

Mr Bubbles is your friend.

Back