Filtering Beer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnpaddler

Reaction score
howdy, i would like to know if anyone has come up with an in-expensive way to filter beer?

I am looking for a way to either filter the beer from the brew kettle to the carboy or from the carboy to a second fermenter.....

any feed back is apprecitated....scotty

The most inexpensive way to filter beer is through gravity...and time. ;):D

The trick is to make sure your brew is done fermenting before racking to the secondary and leaving as much yeast behind as possible.

You can also place the secondary in the fridge so more yeast will fall out in the cold and again, rack as little yeast to the bottling bucket as possible.

The less yeast you transfer the less will make it to the bottle. :mug:

I use a nylon net on my primary when I pour my wort in. That keeps all the hops out.

Almost all other "filtering" is done under pressure.

...and welcome!!

I buy "soup socks", you can get a bag of them for about 3 bucks. They're just terrycloth tubes sewn up at one end. I then wrap one or two over my strainer, and pour through the strainer. Keeps the strainer from gunking up, and makes disposal really, really easy. You just peel the bag off of your strainer and that big ball of hops is right there, ready to be thrown away. Or you could just take the two minutes to make a hop bag and use that.

I filter a few beers but I also keg. If you are bottling then filtering will be kind of pointless as the yeast that will provide the carbonation in the bottle will create more sediment. If you are kegging then go get an in line house water filter with a non carbon .5 micron filter cartridge and use Co2 to push the beer through the filter into another keg.

I filter a few beers but I also keg. If you are bottling then filtering will be kind of pointless as the yeast that will provide the carbonation in the bottle will create more sediment. If you are kegging then go get an in line house water filter with a non carbon .5 micron filter cartridge and use Co2 to push the beer through the filter into another keg.

Are those filters cleanable and reusable?

I never filter. It's just a waste of money, and all you're really doing is rushing what will be a good beer.

img_11531.jpg

Unfiltered

If your using a plastic bottling bucket like a plastic fermenter why not just let it sit another day or two in your bottling bucket (sealed of course) to do a 3rd clearing before bottling, just a thought.

While we're on the subject, are there any issues with straining your wort before you pour it into your Primary?

thank all of your for your quick responses...and info. everyone seems to have their little tricks and tweaks and that is what makes this webb site so useful to those of us that are just getting our feet wet!.....cheers :mug:

I find that if you care about sediment and bottle condition your beers then doing a secondary and moving to your bottling bucket say a day ahead of when you plan to bottle so any sediment that makes it in there can settle out will make some pretty clear beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back