Please critique my Citra IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdawson9

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'd love feedback on my Citra IPA recipe. I tried to incorporate all the wisdom from this site from the last year of research. Any feedback?
Thanks!

OG 1.065
FG 1.015
IBU 57.7
SRM 8.5

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
3 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)
0.33 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 20.4 IBUs
1.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min 22.4 IBUs
1.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min 14.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)
4 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) at Flameout
12.0 oz Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) at Flameout
2.75 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

Looks good to me. Brew it up! (If it smells like cat pee at bottling time then you did everything right)

My only comment is to reduce the dry hop to 1oz and use the other 1.25 in the boil, either move it to the 30min mark or add it to the 10 min mark.

reed1911 said:
My only comment is to reduce the dry hop to 1oz and use the other 1.25 in the boil, either move it to the 30min mark or add it to the 10 min mark.

Any particular reason? I was trying to stay in the mid 50s on IBUs. I hit that with a previous all cascade IPA and it was just right on bitterness.

Most commercial breweries are doing the equivalent of about 3oz/5 gallons so I would leave it alone.
My comment would be to add more than 1 pack of US-05. I usually use 2 rehydrated packs for a 1.065 beer.

Well, Citra tends to have a wonderful aroma all by it self with no dry hopping at all. An ounce for the dry hop is all you would want, any more than that is a waste. Dry hopping is mostly about the aroma not the taste, the 20-30 min additions will add more of the taste for you.

Looks dam good. You could cut dry hop in two sections. Add 1.38oz, wait 4 days, pull it, add last 1.38oz, wait four days, then...whatever you have planned. But what you have looks good. You said you did something like this before so this would be an experiment to possibly try. Have fun!

reed1911 said:
Well, Citra tends to have a wonderful aroma all by it self with no dry hopping at all. An ounce for the dry hop is all you would want, any more than that is a waste. Dry hopping is mostly about the aroma not the taste, the 20-30 min additions will add more of the taste for you.

It is true I like the aroma of my beer to be smelled in the other room as its pouring from the tap. But, normally I do 1.5oz Citra and 1.5oz Amarillo or something. So you may be right.

Also, there is a thread for Odd-Side Ales Citra Pale ale clone. If the clone is anything close to the real thing, that's the amount I would go with. Incredible beer. I am still too lazy to figure out how post a link from my iPhone. Sorry.

Back