Another NEWB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travlin

Reaction score
Hi all , Yes another new b , So i keep running into this product but i cant find weather you can use it with beer brewing or not
{LIQUOR QUIK™ Alcobase Extreme 23% }
Sorry if its a dumb question but " live and learn"
Also waiting for my first born as we speak and looking forward to that first satisfiying GULP :mug:
One more thing, The morning after my brew i found the stopper ajar and airlock plugged and foam everywhere, What a mess:mad: Any way i cleaned it all up and promtly broke th stem of my airlock trying to reinsert it so rigged some tubing and cup of water above the carboy as a airlock and it seems to b ok ( ok)? so far So i am now ordering a 6 gal carboy and bucket in hopes of curing that problem. The kit i am using is a true brew ale that my wife got me for xmas and so far this is a blast, Thanks for the great Fourm:D

Welcome to HBT! The blow off rig is always a good idea to use at the beginning of fermentation. Initial fermentation can be pretty active. Never herd of alcobase though.

What you made is called a blow off tube. Had you come here before making it, that is exactly what people would have told you to do (apparently you are a natural at brewing).

Just make sure you put the cup of water below the bucket. If it is above the bucket, you are asking for it to siphon the liquid into your brew. Also, it is a good idea to use some sort of sanitizer in your cup, but that isn't absolutely necessary.

Nice work. I have no doubt it will be beer pretty soon. Good luck and keep asking questions (after at least a LITTLE bit of searching).

Wow , Thanks for the compliment....
LIQUOR QUIK™ Alcobase Extreme 23% Is a yeast or
turbo yeast that is supposed to break the 20% barrier but i cant find where it says it is for liquor or beer and as i said im a bit of a new b Plus in SC so 2 strikes already Here is a link if anyone is interested.. it is ebay but pretty discriptive...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Liquor-Quik...889?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cf459789

Your lucky a plugged airlock and open stopper was all you got. I had a carboy top explode in my closet while fermenting a batch of barley wine! Talk about a giant mess.

It is a distilling product, used to make your initial mash which you then use in your still. Pretty sure if you use it to make beer it'll taste like ****.

Turbo yeast is good for when you really just want to remove the alcohol from the flavor, ie distilling.

For beer, where the flavor is important, use a quality brewers yeast, such as Danstar or Lavalin dry or White Labs or Wyeast liquid.

Going above 20% is quite a trick. I recommend not attempting it until you have a good amount of brewing experience. Then it might make a nice experiment to play with (But I doubt most people would appreciate the flavor even then...)

If youre new to homebrewing, you probably shouldnt be tampering with turbo yeast. Stick to the basics and learn your sanitation.

Back