Just found out we don't own a scale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcadieux

Reaction score
Doing a recipe that asks for 300g of dextrose, it only comes in bags if 1kg. Just found out we don't own a scale for the kitchen. Can someone tell me, is 300g just a smidge over 1cup, maybe 1cup and 1/4?

Thx

The exact volume depends on, among a few things, how coarse the grains in your dextrose are, so it's hard to give an exact weight/volume conversion factor.

However, you are fortunate in that you know that you have 1 kg of dextrose in your bag. You can measure your own conversion factor that will be more accurate than a stock value pretty easily. What I would do is get two big bowls (or pots or whatever; make sure they're very dry). Dump the bag into one of them and use a whisk to stir it up. The idea here is to make sure it's not clumped together at all. Now get a measuring cup and measure from one bowl into the other to find out how many cups of sugar you have. For best results here, I would use a spoon to scoop the sugar and pour it loosely into the measuring cup. The idea is you want to avoid compacting it down because that'll be hard to replicate.

So now you know you've got 1 kg and it fills X cups (or mL or hogsheads or whatever your favorite volume measure is). Divide 1 kg by the volume and you'll have the density, which you can use to compute how many cups you need for 300 g.

That's overkill for a recipe, though. Just pour a bit less than half. If you're bottling, it is probably worth being more careful.

Just run out to a decent grocery store, target, walmart, etc.. get a kitchen scale. If you can post and wait for an answer.. you can make the run ;)

Or send SWMBO.

Hah, thx for the responses. While I was waiting, I sent the wife to Walmart for a scale. Gonna use it shortly, just 12hrs behind schedule.

Probably too late for you this time, but in an emergency you can dissolve the full 1kg in a litre of water. 300ml of this solution would be almost exactly 300g.

Fill a bowl with water to the top, then place your bag of dextrose inside.
Collect the overflow in a larger bowl or tray, and measure how much overflowed.

The volume of the bag shouldn't make too much of a difference.
Therefore, you can divide the volume of the overflow by 1000 grams.
Now, multiply that volume by 300.

There, you have the amount of dextrose you need in volume.

Back