12oz of chinook on hand...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danio

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm looking for a critique of a recipe I came up with last night and am gonna brew this evening. Basically I'm thinking a big, bitter, resiney, citrusy IPA. I have 12oz of chinook leaf hops and i'm gonna go get some grains ground today. I've never used Maris Otter before so I'm thinking about this:

7lb 2row
7lb Maris Otter
1lb crystal 40l

3oz chinook 60
2oz chinook 30
2oz chinook 5
2oz chinook 0

3oz chinook dry hop for 1.5 weeks

100% RO water + 1tsp CaCl + 2tsp Gyp
Mash at 152, use US-05

My efficiency is usually in the low 60s for some reason so that puts me at like 7.2% abv for a 5gal batch.

I love my beers bitter, hence the 60 min. Otherwise I figured it was a pretty decent hop distribution. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Dan

It will make an IPA. Not sure I've ever tasted chinook and thought 'citrusy' though. It's more of a dank hop to me. Think Arrogant Bastard.

Oh ok. I've never done a beer with lots of chinook (I use mostly cascade, centennial, amarillo, simcoe type hops) so part of this brew is to explore a hop all by itself. I wonder if it will pair well with the MO?

I'd move the 30 min addition to 20 so you get some flavor out of it. I haven't crunched the numbers, so what are your expected ibus and og? I get dank notes and a ton of citrus from chinooks.

Good thought on the 20 minute move.

If I move it to 20 min my total IBUs are 210. I always think beersmith's IBUs are way high...it seems like I get a ton of IBUs from even the late additions, for example.

Good thought on the 20 minute move.

If I move it to 20 min my total IBUs are 210.

Wow! I've tasted, and liked, 100 IBU's. Please tell me how this one tastes. Is there a limit? A point where your taste buds don't know a difference?

I've heard 100 is the max that your taste buds can detect...? I think that's a pretty fuzzy barrier though.

Back