Attach 5/16" id hose to 1/4" barb - is this really ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbshopplf

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got home from my LHBS with all the pieces I need to keg.

I didn't realize until now that the hose they gave me to connect the regulator to the keg is 5/16" id; my pin-lock post has a 1/4" barb, of course. I appreciate it's only 1/16" difference, but I also appreciate we're talking about pressure and CO2. I prefer to not mess this up.

Can I really just "clamp 'er down", and it'll be fine?

This is very common. The standard size for regulator aircocks is 5/16, but the barb on the ball locks only come in 1/4"(unless you use a flare with a 5/16" flare nut.

Just heat up the end that is going on to the 5/16 barb in hot water for a few minutes. This will soften the tubing and it will slip right on. Clamp it and you are good to go.

My impression is that the 5/16 line is specific, to handle the pressure of the gas; it's red, Micro Matic line. My 1/4 line is regular, clear tubing.

My worry is pressure leaking from the gas line, as it's loose on the 1/4 barb. Guess I'll clamp as tightly as possible and hope for the best?

All 6 kegs in my keezer have 1/4 " inch flare fittings hooked up to 5/16 " gas line. I've had this setup for years and never have leaks. It's not a problem. Just use hose clamps.

My impression is that the 5/16 line is specific, to handle the pressure of the gas; it's red, Micro Matic line. My 1/4 line is regular, clear tubing.

My worry is pressure leaking from the gas line, as it's loose on the 1/4 barb. Guess I'll clamp as tightly as possible and hope for the best?

The gas line is really not much different than beer line other than color. It's usually colored for commercial applications so lines can easily be identified as product or gas. Standard thin wall vinly tubing is good for over 50 psi. I'm guessing thick wall beer line is rated even higher so I doubt it's an issue.

I've done it successfully for short term use. Then I picked up some cheap reinforced 1/4" tubing from Lowes and that has worked great for 3 years now.

Crappy pic here...

DSC00358.jpg

Back