My birthday!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klars

Reaction score
Alright, that sounds odd...

My glorious SWMBO bought me an extract (read coopers can kit) brew starter kit one year ago.

Now, I have been into steeping grains, bought some carboys, a wort chiller, 7 gallon pot, kegging system.....etc.

I am thinking about asking for a combined b-day and christmas present, and I want to do all grain. Reasons being, it sounds awesome....and I am a junkie of homebrewing.

Soooo....What should I ask for? I would like to be electric just due to the -30c in Canada.

Suggestions please. What is your "custard dreams" list???

kl

A corona style grain mill and a couple of paint strainer bags will set you up to do all grain. (look for "brew in a bag", there is a sticky on one of these sections) That makes for a fairly cheap birthday/Christmas present.

Maybe search Craigslist for a cheap refrigerator and ask for a controller to make a temperature controlled fermenting chamber. Being winter coming and you're in Calgary, maybe you want to add a heater to the fermenting chamber too and dual control the temperature.

a cooler mlt will get you started especially if you have a lhbs that can grind your grain...

BUT! If she's willing to spend some money! You can get all kinds of good stuff!

a cooler mlt will get you started especially if you have a lhbs that can grind your grain...

BUT! If she's willing to spend some money! You can get all kinds of good stuff!

Agree, that's what you need, plus probably a larger pot. 7 Gal is not gonna cut it.

^^Lab equipment to handle the yeast?? Odd.

I did my first starter today in a 1/2 gallon glass milk jug... Will this be ok or should I get a flask!?

that sure is a pretty pot! Check out the equip secrion and see if you see any reviews on it... Or maybe people can point you in a different direction... Or tell you that's the ONE you need!

klars said:
I think I have settled on a better kettle. I have a "turkey fryer" right now.

Any thoughts on this kettle? I want something that will scale up with me, and I intend on getting a false bottom and therm. Then it is onward to all grain at some point. Hows the price here?

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/boilermakertm-15-gallon-kettle.html

All Blichmann product run the same price at retail, at least as far as I have ever seen so go with best shipping price.

Need? Depends. Want? Who doesn't?

Its a purpose built unit with all the built-in tools and despite the price you'd be hard pressed to duplicate for the same.

I'd say number 1 is a full boil kettle.and if biab, big enough to mash in

10 gallon steel value pot + $19 drain valve. 10 gallon cooler with $30 in parts cpvc including 2nd drain valve. some big brew bags for brew in a bag & additional strainer for mash tun just to stop stuck sparge ( may have cut my slits wide) stuck sparge fixed by simple lift

Back