craig's list

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I search for Keg, or Brew or hombrew, or home brew, or kegerator or carboy. Most brewers know better than to use the term "Beer". Too many people who want to trade beers for game tickets, or sell a leftover 6-pack.

You can search the entire city's site by clicking the "for sale" link, then searching. That is my method.

I was browsing craig's list just yesterday. I started out searching for "kegerator" and got a couple hits. Then I backed off to just "keg" and found the same kegerators I had initially found, plus two guys selling full homebrew kegging set-ups.

-walker

All of those methods work great unless you are in Phoenix, where I live.

In Phoenix, search for.... um "armoire".

Really there are no deals in Phoenix, nothing to see.

I search for keg, beer, fridge, bar, restaurant

Dude said:
Funny, I just search beer, and I get everything involved, usually.

In Chicago, it's too many people selling neon lights and event tix. You must have a higher homebrewer pop, Dude.

I usually search the free section first :D Then in the 'all for sale' section I'll search for carboy, carboys, bottles, beer, homebrew, brew, wine, keg and kegs.

olllllo said:
In Phoenix, search for.... um "armoire".

So, trying to pawn your armoire off on us eh?

Not a lot around me, but then again I live in the middle of nowhere. The PITA for me is that because I live pretty much equidistant from most of the postings in Albany, NY, in Western MA, and in Vermont, so I have to check three locations.

I search for brew, beer, homebrew, keg, and other stuff that people have said. Another good one is bottles. I bought 8 cases of 22s a week ago for $20. I thought it was a pretty good deal.

Ol' Grog said:
Billybrew, there was a chest freezer for 125 up for grabs yesterday.

Thanks to my Heating and Air father in law I have a fridge in the garage. I might get him to help me build a fermentation chiller though. I've heard they're much less expensive to operate than a freezer and work good for that purpose.

Cheesefood said:
I saw a guy in Plainfield looking for empty kegs. That wouldn't be any of you guys, would it?

I have this image of a guy wandering the empty streets in the twilight kicking a rusty can looking in every alley for a keg.

Cheesefood said:
I saw a guy in Plainfield looking for empty kegs. That wouldn't be any of you guys, would it?

Not me. I've never even looked at Craig's List, probably b/c it sounded gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that!;) Maybe I should. I'd really like to score a used fridge for the garage!

olllllo said:
I have this image of a guy wandering the empty streets in the twilight kicking a rusty can looking in every alley for a keg.

While Green Day's Boulevard Of Broken Dreams plays in the background!:D

Rhoobarb said:
Not me. I've never even looked at Craig's List, probably b/c it sounded gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that!;) Maybe I should. I'd really like to score a used fridge for the garage!

I found nice freezer in Naperville and totally low-balled the guy. He came down quite a bit, but eventually got a higher bidder. I really don't need one yet, but figured I'd grab it for the right price.

There are plenty of them in our area - just need to look here and there

Billy brew, if your FIL comes across a chest freezer no wider than 24 inches and would hold at least two corny's, let me know. If I can find one that size, 3 to 5 cubic feet, it would fit nicely in my upstairs bar.

Ol' Grog said:
Billy brew, if your FIL comes across a chest freezer no wider than 24 inches and would hold at least two corny's, let me know. If I can find one that size, 3 to 5 cubic feet, it would fit nicely in my upstairs bar.

One comment: I don't think chest freezers are deep enough to hold corny kegs. I've been told about the need to remove the lid, add a collar of 2x4's around the top of the freezer, and then re-attach the lid to that collar (basically, you increase the depth by a few inches by raising up the lid).

-walker

I think it depends on what size you get. I know my 9 cu. ft one in the garage will hold corny's, but it's way too big for upstairs and if I was to use that in the garage, I'll never leave the garage. Already got a full surround sound stereo and TV in there not to mention all my tools and other "toys." But, I'm prepared to build the collar in any event. It isn't that hard to do.

Ol' Grog said:

Sure. He's got a friend who gets broken ones and repairs and sells them. Are you wanting a good deal or a Smoking deal? I could probably get a good deal pretty easily.

My main concern would be to hopefully find either a chest freezer or a mini fridge that would hold at least two cornies. If I got to keep the CO2 outside, then so be it. I can't have it wider than 24 inches, depth is not a real problem. A refrigerator without a freezer would be idea, but I know those are hard to come by.

Back