Homebrew Scale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thdewitt

Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone have a scale for weighing grain that they really like. I just bought my own Barley Crusher and I will need to weigh out grain. I was hoping to find a reliable scale that you can put a bucket on and still read the weight.

Thanks,
Tom:cross:

If you want to find a cheap one to put a bucket on I suggest a hanging scale. You can easily find them under $10 and they can usually hold 50 lbs or so for that price range.

Here is one that I found doing a quick search of Google

I use a 13 pound scale and I have a plastic container that holds about 10#, so I know I won't go over. It does 10th of a pound or grams, so it comes in handy for hops too. There are lots online for $20-30. It's a great tool for making consistent beer.

I just use a house scale (for weighing yourself) i just place my bin on it and use the zero out knob and go from there.... its not perfect but, a little extra grain is better than not enough....:mug:

I just bought this one. Came in today actually but I'm not home yet :(

$27 shipped, 55lb capacity...and the coolest is the display is movable in case you have something large on it (bucket) you can move it from underneath the bucket. ChillHayze found it cheaper on eBay which came with the AC power adapter. If I were to do it again I would get it from eBay. Just search for Ultraship.

I have this one. Works real well for me.

I've used this one before too but once you get a bucket on it you cant see the display! If you move the bucket so you can see the display it either falls off or isnt accurate anymore because it's not on the load cell properly. That's why I like the Ultaship I bought...just for the movable display!

Last edited by a moderator:

$27 shipped, 55lb capacity...and the coolest is the display is movable in case you have something large on it (bucket) you can move it from underneath the bucket. ChillHayze found it cheaper on eBay which came with the AC power adapter. If I were to do it again I would get it from eBay. Just search for Ultraship.

I've used this one before too but once you get a bucket on it you cant see the display! If you move the bucket so you can see the display it either falls off or isnt accurate anymore because it's not on the load cell properly. That's why I like the Ultaship I bought...just for the movable display!

I use the UltraShip 35# scale, and it works great. Accurate down to 0.1 oz as well so doubles as a hop scale for me.

+1 for the ultra ship. I have been using this one for over a year and it is a great scale. Does lbs, oz, grams, cleans up well too when you get that nasty extract powder all over the place. Sometimes you can even get it on sale like I did for $20!

I tried mine out tonight...VERY nice! Seriously, the detachable face is a MUST have...especially when it's only ~$30 shipped. If you try putting a 5 gallon bucket on most scales to weigh 10+ pounds of grain, you're not going to be able to see the display. This thing has a 2-3 foot cord that connects to the display module so you can detach it.

And no, I dont work for Ultraship :)

I have the ultraship 35# with an AC adapter. Like SOB is saying, the detachable face is AWESOME. just put your bucket on top and weigh away. I use it for all my grain, and it's so handy i've stopped using my 5lb kitchen scale for hops, just do that on the ultraship too.

Back