2.5 gallon glass carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim chillingsworth

Reaction score
local co-op has water in 2.5 gallon glass jugs/carboys for 6.99 plus $6 deposit = $13

i feel like it would be good for splitting up 5 gallon batches for different dry-hopping projects and whatnot, especially if i can get them to give up the bottles for $6 without the water.

opinions, please.

why bother...nice idea maybe for a few. I use my ale pales for splitting batches to best different dry hopping and flavoring

re: post 2, i'd bother because i can split batches on the cheap. i don't have an ale pail, i use better bottle carboys with spigots. i figure regardless of what i'm using for secondaries, these are cheaper than buying more 5 gallon carboys to achieve the goal of making 2.5 gallon batches of test beers, and easier to store and move.

re: post 3, thanks for the encouragement, but that's not all that helpful. i'm brewing, i've been brewing, and i'll continue to brew. i'm wondering if anyone has cheaper ideas for this goal or opinions that would nullify it.

what about further scailing down and testing different stuff in 1 gal carboys. I have a bunch of 1/2gal carboys and have split a batch 4 ways in those and left the other 3 gallons as a control. alot of beer stores sell 1/2 gal "carboys" for $3

I would love a couple 2.5 gallons, just to be able to dosome 2.5 experimental batches. The only issue would be when racking to them from your fermenter, one may get more sediment in than the other. IM not sure if that would affect the flovor profile though.

Arneba28 said:
what about further scailing down and testing different stuff in 1 gal carboys. I have a bunch of 1/2gal carboys and have split a batch 4 ways in those and left the other 3 gallons as a control. alot of beer stores sell 1/2 gal "carboys" for $3

interesting idea.

i would recommend against basically stealing these carboys. they clearly can't replace them for $6 each. $6 is probably the fair price they decided on to encourage people to return them and not gouge on the deposit. if you go and buy the water, pay the deposit, and then keep the carboys to use as you please i suppose it's fair, but that's not really the issue. I'd check in with your karma before you decide to do this.

SenorWanderer said:
i would recommend against basically stealing these carboys. they clearly can't replace them for $6 each. $6 is probably the fair price they decided on to encourage people to return them and not gouge on the deposit. if you go and buy the water, pay the deposit, and then keep the carboys to use as you please i suppose it's fair, but that's not really the issue. I'd check in with your karma before you decide to do this.

i understand your point, but i feel pretty okay about this, to be honest. if they're willing to accept $6 for compensation, then they have done the math that will allow them to continue doing business. decisions like these are calculated to the fullest extent, assuming that people will forget to return those carboys or use them for other needs. how many people do you think refill carboys with filtered water for their water coolers? is that so bad?

it's a water distributor, their costs are probably pretty close to $6 on bulk, wholesale carboys. when you figure a carboy twice the size retails individually at around $25, it doesn't seem too far off for their bottles to float around that price.

how far does this argument go? is reusing glass bottles for homebrewing bad karma because of the bottle deposit/refund in some states/countries? do those bottles cost the distributors more than 5-10 cents each? it just seems silly.

I have a pair as well, and a 3gal carboy.
they are handy for splitting a batch at secondary. say you wanna dry hop half the batch, or add spices, or fruit, etc...

I use them more for mead than beer. I have the mini auto-siphon as well as its a very convenient size for those little guys.

BUMP after 3 years in the grave!

I love these small carboys. I like to split batches and play with different additions : oak in one, cedar in another, bourbon or scotch. Great size for experimenting. Mountain Spring water comes in them.

In other news, Samuel "Slim" Chillingsworth was arrested after stealing 2.5gal glass carboys from the local co-op. Authorities would not have caught him if he kept his habit only to co-op glass carboys; however, Slim had been doing this in other situations as well (left his Hyundai at the Mercedes dealership as a deposit and stole a C300 sedan on a test drive). Slim has pleaded not-guilty using the "i feel pretty okay about this, to be honest" defense.

Ole Slim has a B-A-U-tiful brewing system build from kegs he has "on loan" from a local brewery as well. He bought the ingredients for his last brew with money he saved by piggy-backing on his neighbor's wireless.

In actuality you can honestly buy these bottles from the distributor for $15.00. Not too bad for what you get.

what is the name of this place i live in the houston area and would LOVE some 2.5 gal carboys especially at the price you listed them at i live in a SMALL apartmnent so i have to brew under the countertop and must use small equipment if anything i have some friends that frequent austin if i gave them the money they would gladly pick some up for me as a birthday gift

Back