Anyone haerd of these new Yeasts from Mangrove Jack's (New Zealand)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which shop in Omaha?

I would be willing to give some a try.
I could split between a couple of 3 gal fermenters and ferment at different temps.

Andrew

The LHBS where I work also got some unsolicited samples from this company yesterday. We each took a couple to try. I got the "workhorse" strain, which sounds like kind of a cry havoc thing, where you can do lager or ale temps. I also got the "Newcastle dark ale" strain. It says its for dark milds or English browns and has "full, rich, dark fruit favors". ( well, actually it says "flavours", being that they're from New Zealand and all). Both sound promising. It's nice to see more strains becoming available in dry form. I love when I make something where I just use a standard US-05 - it's nice to not have to do starters all the time, especially since my brew days have been increasingly spontaneous, I have been so busy I never know when I'll have time. My next brew day may not be until big brew day on the 4th of May, but whenever I use them I'll post results.

Yeah, just saw them but they also came without prices so the brew shop guy doesn't even know what the prices will be. He told me to take some to try but it was at an event so I just left them on the table for display purposes.

Which shop in Omaha?

I would be willing to give some a try.
I could split between a couple of 3 gal fermenters and ferment at different temps.

Andrew

Cornhusker, I work there part time (Generally Saturdays), but won't be there this Saturday since our club is doing Big brew a week early. I think I might split my share of wort in two and try a couple of these yeasts.

We also got some of this at the shop I work at. Brewed a big 1.090 Tripel with the Belgian Ale yeast. The description said it has very high attenuation, a temp range that goes to 90F, and can go up to 14% ABV. I think it might be a Saison strain. It's currently sitting in our warm warehouse. We also did a quick cider with the cider yeast, and the sample at racking was pretty dry to my tastes, and it flocculated very well.

i see rebelbrewer and farmhouse now have these for sale. i want to try the workhorse one

Interested in these as well, saw them on Rebel Brewer today. Guess I'll have to pick some up - particularly interesting in the Bohemian Lager strain. All are $3.99 per pack on the Rebel Brewer site.

I got a package of the Belgian Ale yeast to play with as well, so will be very interested to hear how that big Tripel comes out.

Also interested in the Cider yeast, as I make a lot of that every year; does it preserve any of the fruit character or aromas? Fast or slow fermenter? I've not been impressed with the results from other so-called cider yeasts, but always looking for new stuff to try.

I'd really like to see how the workhorse strain does. It would be SO nice to have a yeast that can handle summer temps and not be a saison.

Big tripel went from 1.090 to 1.001...11.8% ABV.

:eek::drunk:

By "really damn good," do you mean it tastes like a Belgian Tripel?

I've never heard of a beer going that low. Belgian Tripels usually aim for about 80% attenuation, but you got 99%, which I didn't even think was possible with the complex sugars in beer wort... unless you used Beano or something. Tell me more about how you did it!

Mashed low, maybe 149. At least 8 of the points were candi sugar. Left in our hot warehouse for a few weeks after a cool primary fermentation. I guess technically it's more of a strong golden? Some hot alcohol taste but I'm sure it'll mellow out.

I'm going to give a go at their burton union yeast, anybody tried it? I'm looking for a not-too-prominent yeast but with more esters than notty or s-04.

I used the Newcastle strain in an Oatmeal Brown Sunday. It finished fermenting last night. Quite active.

So far I have picked up the Belgian strain, the Workhorse, West Coast, and the Dry English. I will be using the West Coast in a hoppy wheat beer this weekend. I will also be trying the Workhorse in a Vienna/Northern Brewer SMaSH beer that I have always used chico in. I really like seeing more variety in dry yeast.

So far I have picked up the Belgian strain, the Workhorse, West Coast, and the Dry English. I will be using the West Coast in a hoppy wheat beer this weekend. I will also be trying the Workhorse in a Vienna/Northern Brewer SMaSH beer that I have always used chico in. I really like seeing more variety in dry yeast.

What kind of temp are you going to ferment the workhorse at?

I made a cream ale on big brew day and used the workhorse. I normally have used the White Labs cream ale blend on this recipe. I fermented at around 64 and it is very clean tasting and dropped clear very quickly. It was a quick worker too, took off within 4 hours after pitching. I had it kegged and was drinking it within twelve days. Probably the best cream ale I've made, and I've made a LOT of cream ales for my wife, including several medal winners. I've used a ton of different yeasts on them, and I think this may be my favorite. Next up is a partigyle Old Ale/English brown using the Burton Union yeast for the Old ale and the Newcastle for the brown ale. We'll see how that goes.

I made a cream ale on big brew day and used the workhorse. I normally have used the White Labs cream ale blend on this recipe. I fermented at around 64 and it is very clean tasting and dropped clear very quickly. It was a quick worker too, took off within 4 hours after pitching. I had it kegged and was drinking it within twelve days. Probably the best cream ale I've made, and I've made a LOT of cream ales for my wife, including several medal winners. I've used a ton of different yeasts on them, and I think this may be my favorite. Next up is a partigyle Old Ale/English brown using the Burton Union yeast for the Old ale and the Newcastle for the brown ale. We'll see how that goes.

Thanks for the post - I think this is worth a try. The product info shows the Workhorse yeast as producing a lager style when fermented in the 59 - 68F range. Did you think it was clean enough to call it a lager flavor?

(By the way, if you're looking for this info, I got it from a link in the on-line Williams Brewing catalog.)

i ordered a pack of the workhorse and a pack of the american ale, not sure what i'm going to use them in yet

I'm going to give a go at their burton union yeast, anybody tried it? I'm looking for a not-too-prominent yeast but with more esters than notty or s-04.

I think you may have the yeast you're looking for then. I have just done an ESB with the Burton Union. Subtle but definitely present esthers.

We're moving into winter here so temps are lower than than the mid range recomended and that may also have affected it. It was also quite slow, but attenuated well.

ncbrewer said:
Thanks for the post - I think this is worth a try. The product info shows the Workhorse yeast as producing a lager style when fermented in the 59 - 68F range. Did you think it was clean enough to call it a lager flavor?
Definitely lager like. Probably even more than the cream ale blend, which actually has some lager yeast in it. Totally 100% neutral, no esters or sulphur to speak of. And it was pretty clear right away, even without cold crashing. The corn in the recipe shows through a bit more than in past brews of the same recipe. I'd like to try this yeast a few degrees warmer in a Cali common.

I think you may have the yeast you're looking for then. I have just done an ESB with the Burton Union. Subtle but definitely present esthers.

We're moving into winter here so temps are lower than than the mid range recomended and that may also have affected it. It was also quite slow, but attenuated well.

That sounds really good. Just going for a light, hoppy session bitter to be consumed in large quantities and in one go. I'd prefer a bit more yeast and malt character than notty, so your ESB is reassuring.

Just finished a porter that will be pecan rum porter and used the newcastle dark. Hope it does a nice job. Planning to also use my oak barrel for the first time on this beer. I will let the group know when it is done.

Got the Burton Union bubbling 12 hours after pitching, and there's an inch of krausen 24 hours after. Looks good, 15% Munich, 4% caramalt, 1% dark crystal, 80% British 2-row. Plenty of Styrian Goldings late additions after early additions of EK Goldings and Fuggles.

Wow, this has almost fermented through, I'm pretty surprised that it has gone from 1.045 to 1.014 in three days. Had a gravity sample and didn't notice much about the yeast, mainly the graininess of the grist.

Pitched the West Coast Ale yeast into a hoppy wheat beer (1.046 og) on Saturday at noon. Today the yeast has started to drop out and the beer tastes awesome, didn't check the gravity just pulled a little taster. This fermented at 70 fwiw. I know its a long way to go but I am pretty happy with it. I like S05 but it can be cloudy for me, I am hoping either this or BRY97 offers better clarity for me.

I brewed a hefe with the M20 hefe yeast and it turned out pretty good. I was disappointed that it only fermented down to 1.016 from 1.050, though. It tastes nice, fermented at 68ish degrees and it gave off a good banana flavor/aroma. I'd use it again.
I, too, am wanting more dry options. I get nervous about shipping liquid yeast when it's super hot out. Plus, making starters has always been tedious.

Yeah, not getting lots of attenuation. Giving it a couple days more for the yeast to further drop but it seems to have stop at just over 70%

Used the Belgian strain in a Wit and like Stytuned, I also got 99% attenuation. It went from 1.058 to 1.003 in 3 days at 85 degrees, checked it a week later and it was at 1.001.

I am not very impressed with the flavor at this point. It has a Belgian character to it but its just too dry and really out of balance. I will add some maltodextrin back at kegging and try to bring it up to 1.008 and see if that improves the overall feel (impression) of the beer.

I have to email these guys and see why this yeast is eating everything in its path, it kinda cool bit at the same time its not.

We have the Burton Union fermenting a Scotch Ale this week I will report back when its finished. It's taken some time to get going ~ 30hrs but I wont let that sway me until I taste a finished product.

Not 100% sure everything is ok with my bitter with burton union yeast. Flavour is a bit grainy and has some sourness. Maybe it improves after conditioning, but can't blame the yeast for that.

I'm trying now the Newcastle Dark Ale yeast in a mild. It got off like a rocket 3 hours after pitching and the foam likes to climb in it. Wasn't quite expecting that!

I just tasted a sample of a Vienna/NB smash beer fermented with the Workhorse yeast. I kept the temp at 64 and below and it really tastes like a lager. This would be a great option to using a cream ale blend or using a steam yeast. I will be using this to make an Oktoberfest for my brothers rehearsal dinner. In addition my hoppy wheat beer I did with the West Coast Ale yeast tastes amazing. It also has started to drop clear, so if this all pans out (bottled today) this may replace S05 as my go to yeast. I will be brewing an Eagle Rock Solidarity clone soon with their Brittish Ale Yeast which is supposed to be like wlp007 or Wyeast 1098.

i did an IPA with the workhorse in the high 70s, i havent kegged it yet though

Yeah, nice yeast, there's some raisiny fruit in there to match the chocolate of my mild!

Today my Vienna NB smash started back up again. Not sure what is going the temp in the house has been the same. I pulled it from the swamp cooler about a week ago. Gravity was around 1.018 which seemed high but whatever. I want to see where this is headed before I commit the workhorse yeast to fermenting the octoberfast for my brothers wedding.

I'm finding that these yeast are wanting very warm temps to work.

I'll be going back to Nottingham for my brit style ales.

Tasted the Scotch ale with the Burton Union yeast, quite delicious! The esters are apparent but not over the top and the malt comes through well. We are letting it sit on the yeast another week to see if it cleans it up a bit (not necessary, just want to see the change if any).

Tasted the Scotch ale with the Burton Union yeast, quite delicious! The esters are apparent but not over the top and the malt comes through well. We are letting it sit on the yeast another week to see if it cleans it up a bit (not necessary, just want to see the change if any).

Out of curiosity, are you getting any hefe characteristics (banana or clove) from the Burton Union yeast in your scotch ale? And are the esters you're referring to the typical english-type esters (fruity, apple, pear, etc)?

Also, how is the flocculation that you're seeing from this strain of yeast?

I ask because there's another thread on here were a couple folks were getting some strange hefe and belgian characteristics from the BU yeast, and additionally they were ending up with SUPER cloudy/yeasty beer. It kind of made me nervous to try this out on an ESB I had planned.

Cheers! :mug:

Back