Crush advice (new to milling my own)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydog2314

Reaction score
So I got the barley crusher this past week. I have a good corded drill so I can hook it up to it. I left it at .39, I was reading a lot of people set it at .35 but I thought I'd try it set to .39 and see what people thought, I have a little idea of what it's suppose to be like, crushed but with husks still in tact? I've used LHBS for my previous and only 2 AG batches.

Let me know what you think:

20130426_181038.jpg

20130426_181051.jpg

For me when I adjusted my mill I ground each batch a little bit finer until I was on the edge of a stuck sparge and then locked it down. I also throw a couple of handfuls of rice hulls in every batch to insure no stuck sparges....I hate stuck sparges

The pic on the left looks better.

I kept going finer on each brew until I got a stuck sparge(took 4 brews to get there). Then back it off a touch n throw in some rice hulls.

sloanfamilydsm said:
The pic on the left looks better.

I kept going finer on each brew until I got a stuck sparge(took 4 brews to get there). Then back it off a touch n throw in some rice hulls.

How much rice hull do you guys throw in an average mash?

I do batch sparge. I think I'm going to drop it down to .37 tonight before milling for tomorrow's brew day!

I'm tightening my mill all the way then.... not sure what it's on right now, but it looked less ground than yours on my last batch. horrible, horrible efficiency on that brew. and I just got some rice hulls included on an order by mistake, so I can start using those...

Back