• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Illinois 60 gallon Groen steam kettle $375

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JUST_BREW_IT

Reaction score
SOLD SOLD SOLD!!!!!

PRICE DROP $375

cutting the price by over half. it needs to go now!

I bought this thinking I could use it but it is just more than what I need. This is a Groen DLT-60 steam kettle. It is a 60 gallon steam kettle with a steam jacket covering the lower 2/3's of the kettle. These were originally used in line with a steam source. Steam would be pumped into the steam jacket allowing the food, soup or wort to be brought to your desirable temperature.

My idea was to utilize a hot water heater to circulate coolant or glycol into the jacket to control the temperature of my wort. I also kicked around the idea of filling the jacket with coolant and utilizing a large burner under the kettle. The coolant would act as a liquid insulant. When I was finished heating my wort I would drain off the coolant and begin circulating water through the jacket and through a chiller to quickly cool my wort.

Needless to say, this thing is just more than what I need. I really want to sell this and get a brew kettle that is more realistic for me. The kettle is in EXCELLENT shape along with the lid that covers the top of the kettle (not pictured). This is a tipping unit. The crank wheel on the left side allows you to 'tip' the kettle all the way on it's side to drain off whatever the content may be. There is also a drain at the bottom of the kettle that can be used to drain its contents. Additionally, there is a drain in the bottom of the steam jacket allowing you to drain whatever you use to circulate through the jacket.

This thing is a tank weighing in close to 200 pounds. It could easily be secured to a pallet of some sort, then wheels added to the pallet making it very mobile.

I see these models going to $1500 on ebay. I flat out am not going to ask that for this unit. I know there is someone out there that can benefit from this kettle in a big way and really all i need is a good kettle myself. With that being said I am going to price this at $750. It is in excellent condition, comes with kettle lid, has multiple drain valves and is a tip-able model. I will entertain offers, just know I won't give it away because I can most certainly find a use for it.

I am located in central Illinois. I would be willing to travel to deliver however please understand that there will be a fee for delivery to compensate for my mileage, fuel and time.

20130219_181848.jpg

20130219_181856.jpg

20130219_181859.jpg

20130218_175217.jpg

20130219_184130.jpg

20130218_180404.jpg

I'm also open to trade offers. I'm in need of a brew kettle that is more suitable for my needs. as in smaller :D

JUST_BREW_IT said:
I'm also open to trade offers. I'm in need of a brew kettle that is more suitable for my needs. as in smaller :D

Keggle.

How about trading for a 40 gal kettle w/ brewmometer, SS 1/2" ball valve and dip tube? I live close enough I could pick it up. Let me know if you're interested.

How about trading for a 40 gal kettle w/ brewmometer, SS 1/2" ball valve and dip tube? I live close enough I could pick it up. Let me know if you're interested.

is the kettle stainless? do you know what brand it is? anyway you could send me pics? I'm interested in your offer. You can text me off you'd like

That's a good offer :( if that doesn't happen, text me at 217-840-1014. I would have texted u but looks like ur number was missing a digit. Tnx

That's a good offer :( if that doesn't happen, text me at 217-840-1014. I would have texted u but looks like ur number was missing a digit. Tnx

217-460-0099

My fault.......... Let me know what you are thinking trade wise here and I'll evaluate the offers I have before coming to a decision.

Thanks,
Ryan

Well, I've decided to pass. Fun to think about, but I don't think it would suit my purposes.

It is sweet, just wish I could make use of it. I would think it would be a steal at $375 if you could utilize it and had the space for it.

It is sweet, just wish I could make use of it. I would think it would be a steal at $375 if you could utilize it and had the space for it.

I'm hoping someone can find a use for it. Otherwise I will be making some serious modifications to it to use as a mash tun

If you still have it in two weeks you'll here from me. I could use it.

JUST_BREW_IT said:
I'm hoping it's gone by then but if not she's all yours.

She's a tank!!!!

Nice! I'd go the mash tun route too.

Nice! I'd go the mash tun route too.

Thats what I was thinking. It would be pretty easy to fashion a false bottom due to the shape of the bottom.

I also thought it would be fun to do a 'group brew' in this thing. Everyone brings their kettle then you all mash in this tank then everyone leaves with wort in their fermentor.

Just a lot of things you could do with this. Heck, I could sell it on ebay for 1500 bucks, right mark?????????

There are distillers that would love to have this, as it's one of the only reasonable ways to cook/ gelatinize large amounts of grain like corn.

JUST_BREW_IT said:
What would be the best way to reach that community?

Well, there are a couple web forums, problem is the people are all over the globe. Plus, many are understandably guarded. I know thats not much help, but I thought Id let you know of that market segment.

Hell, you probably know a couple and don't know it.

Back