A cider success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skywatcher

Reaction score
I just popped open my first cider.

Here's the details. I'm a purist.

5 Gal. Tree Top Apple Cider (Pasteurized, no preservatives)
White Labs Liquid English Cider Yeast WLP775
Patience

Pitched Yeast: 11 Nov 2007
Initial Gravity: 1.044
* Fermentation slow to start. Essentially 24 hours and slow going then. Bubbling stopped after two and a half days.
One Week Check: 1.000 (5.5% ABV)
-Great look, good smell.
-Racked to 5 Gal carboy, vodka airlock. I let it sit in the carboy for a couple of weeks, then primed with 5oz priming sugar and bottled.

After two weeks in the bottle, it tastes great. It still wants to have a few more bubbles. It's dry but kept a great apple taste. Light and easy on the palate.

This was my first attempt at cider and I'm very pleased with the results. Maybe I'll take a shot at Ed Wort's recipe, given the popularity. Just thought I'd share the success.

I just bottled my first batch of holiday cider. We started the first week of October and just got around to bottling it today. We used a wine yeast so we had to back sweeten it and add nutmeg and cinnamon. It tasted great and I just want to say thanks for all the great info.

Thanks Nick

Back