Gravity/bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSD

Reaction score
I made a batch of mead and its been sitting for 3 months. I've checked it twice in the last month and the gravity reading hasn't changed. It started at 1.108 and is currently 1.025. I thought mead was supposed to finish at 1.000. Should I let it sit longer or is it ready to bottle. By the way its lemonade mead with dry mead yeast.

Could have been a bunch of factors....maybe the yeast strain, if it was the wyeast smack pack they can be fickle, its usually the sweet mead one that needs to be babied, maybe had a temp drop that stalled the yeast, you could dry giving it a bit of nutrients and gentle stir to see if it restarts or repitch some of the lalvin 1118 beast if you still want to dry it out

Depending on the yeast, the action of racking etc prior to bottling, could restart fermentation - as there will be residual sugars present. Resulting in bottle bombs(not good).

It's a little sweeter than I like, but if you stabilise it, you could indeed bottle it.

Did you check the pH? Lemonade mead makes me wonder if maybe it's gotten a bit too acidic for the yeasties.

I don't know about the ph, but the sample I checked tastes great.

I don't know about the ph, but the sample I checked tastes great.
Well Goblets comment was probably alluding to why it seems to have stopped early. pH swings are one of the limiting factors that can cause a ferment to stick.

Unless you did use the wyeast sweet mead yeast (tolerant to 11% ABV - and your drop of 83 points is equivalent to 11.2% ABV) then there's still fermentable sugars in there that could restart, given a bit of O2 and enough movement to shift any CO2 from carbonic acid into free CO2. Any live yeast cells can also canibalise the dead yeast cells for nutrient etc.

I'd suggest that as you haven't quoted the yeast used, and as you say, you like the taste "as is", then stabilise it (sulphite, then sorbate), let it clear and then bottle it to age......

Back