What is the difference: Black IPA vs Dry Hopped Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vbwstripes

Reaction score
Hey this is my first post!

Can someone please explain to me some basic differences maybe in terms of typical grains and hops used in Black IPAs and what would be considered a dry hopped stout? Thanks for any input.

A stout won't have as much hop flavor (even dry hopping is for aroma). Also, I don't think Black IPAs should be roasty (or at least not much).

BIPAs usually use dehusked or debittered color malts. Stouts use black patent, husked chocolate, roasted barley, etc to impart a very strong roast character that is absent in BIPAs.

So BIPAs are closer to a hoppy porter than a hoppy stout (although porters, of course, also use husked color malts, but they have more of a chocolate than roast character).

Well you can do anything you want - and that is the very reason I brew! From my perspective a Black IPA has a much less roasty character. The "black" is more associated with color. For a Stout a roasty taste is kind of important! Hop aroma depending on you taste can add to this but the roasty flavor prevails.

Just MHO and YMMV and WTF dude do you read this?!

Steve da sleeve

In the interest of vbwstripes, I'd like to ask if anyone has done a dry-hopped stout? Do the roasty, bitter grains clash with the aroma of the flowery hops?

I made Black IPA a year ago; In fact, I still have some bottles in the basement. Basically followed the Northern Brewer BIPA recipe, but added 4oz of toasted ground oat bran to the steep. OG was 1.074, FG of 1.022 (probably due to the unmashed oats). Dry hopped w/ 0.75oz of centenial (whole leaf).

It's a thick beer with a high-enough ABV that I treat it like a sipper. With the high FG, the beer wasn't as bitter as I would have liked. The early hops definitely added bitterness though. I think the dark grains added more of a tannic astringency. It doesn't seem to compete with the hop aroma, but kind of blends with it to create a citric, lemony tartness. Of course, all of this is subjective --- your mileage may vary.

I think Black Ipa's generally are just an ipa that has small amounts of dark malts,black roast chocolate maybe a little toffee.
Thats where it goes wrong in a stout as Kaleco has stated dry hopping a stout and getting the wrong hop with a stout would clash although with the right hop i think it may work but not most,just my opinion. alot are citrus ,and although ive seen orange chocolate candybars often maybe it could work, i just dont think it would be a very popular liked taste. I know its not very often i get an orange chocolate candy.

I made a stout a couple of years ago that had too much hops and then I dry-hopped it. It was very tasty. I'm doing another one this year. It was a stronger beer, so it could age well, and I think it lasted pretty good, even the hops.

In the interest of vbwstripes, I'd like to ask if anyone has done a dry-hopped stout? Do the roasty, bitter grains clash with the aroma of the flowery hops?

In Radical Brewing, Randy Mosher recommends brewing stouts with IPA hop schedules, including dry hopping. Personally, I don't much like citrusy hops in a stout.

The "black" is more associated with color.

I think the trick of a Black IPA is to make sure it tastes a little 'black' (blindfolded, it shouldn't taste exactly like a regular IPA) without being a stout.

I did an experimental brew (12 gal) a year ago. I brewed a big Imp Stout with a darn fine IIPA hop schedule and dry hopped it. I called it Black Hops. I specifically chose hops that would retain their flavor longer for aging. I had a bottle a few days ago and it is VERY tasty. It still has a strong citrus aroma and flavor. I brew the stout a little sweeter because I thought it would work better with the big citrus hops and it did. When I built the recipe I was looking to elicite simultaneous expressions of confusion and delight when people tasted it. SUCCESS! It's a mind blower and lots of fun to drink.

I don't know how a standard stout (much dryer) would play with a big hop schedule, though.

I accidentally put double the bittering hops into a stout I made a while back. It ended up fairly nice, but I wish I had realized the mistake in time to dry-hop it; that might have been really good.

Just had Stone's 15th Anniversary Imperial Black IPA. Basically tastes like an Imperial Russian Stout (10.8% ABV) with the hop levels of an Imperial IPA. Very good!

Just had Stone's 15th Anniversary Imperial Black IPA. Basically tastes like an Imperial Russian Stout (10.8% ABV) with the hop levels of an Imperial IPA. Very good!

I was just going to mention this one. Stone blurs the line between those two styles with that beer and it is f*cking awesome.

Back