Backsweetening Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dRaPP

Reaction score
A few questions:

I posted this in response to a thread in the cider recipe forum, but haven't gotten a response. So I'll ask here. (Here's the link to the original post.)

After backsweetening, why can it not be bottle carbonated? It seems like your adding more sugars for the yeast, is it because of the risk of bottle bombs?
Would it taste alright uncarbonated? (I don't have the capability to keg or force carb)

You can try to back sweeten with a non fermentable sugar. I used splenda when I made a hard lemonade a couple of years ago. It left a weird off flavor that mellowed out after a year. If you want to back back sweeten on the cheap I would recommend getting a tap a draft system that way you can sorbate back sweeten and then force carb for around 60 dollars

Don't use Aspartame, it tastes like crap.

If the yeast is active, adding sugar can create bottle bombs. You've got the choice to either completely stablize the cider (making it uncarbonatable in bottles - but some add Sprite or 7up after for a bit of sweetness and carbonation.)

Many people prefer Cider uncarbonated, but if you're into commercial ciders, I wouldn't recommend it. It looks to me like your best bet is sweetener if you want to carbonate your cider - not the best result, but it's a learning curve for next time, and it won't be bad!

Oh, and you can get non-fermentable sugars from your local home brew store, or commercial sweeteners should be available in most supermarkets.

Carbonation isn't a necessity, I tried an uncarbed one last night and it wasn't too bad (I could do better!)

So how do I stabilize?

I'm not 100% sure (as i've been asking questions myself lately) but I think the addition of Sodium Metabisulphite and Potassium Sorbate in a solution and stirred through is enough to stop the yeast from breeding after a day or two, then you should be okay to carbonate. Get a second opinion though!

I have 10 gallons bubbling away right now. My plan is to ferment it out dry, then rack to bucket and prime with near 2 cups dextrose. After 5-6 days, I plan to pop one open every other day to check the carbonation/sweetness. After I get what I want, I'll pasteurize the bottles to kill off the yeast, leaving the sweetness.

This is a method I've salvaged from different threads in the Cider forum, but haven't tried for myself yet. However, it seems like a good method for those of us who can't force carb.

P.S.: Thought I'd put this out there now before someone yells at me: this is a risk for bottle bombs. However, being careful and being frequent on checking the bottles can prevent that.

I'm not 100% sure (as i've been asking questions myself lately) but I think the addition of Sodium Metabisulphite and Potassium Sorbate in a solution and stirred through is enough to stop the yeast from breeding after a day or two, then you should be okay to carbonate. Get a second opinion though!

Yes, that's pretty much it. I prefer potassium metabisulfite, not the sodium version, but it's because I don't want to add sodium. So, you add the k-meta (campden tablets is the easiest way to do it- one crushed campden tablet per gallon), and sorbate (1/2 teaspoon per gallon) dissolved in a little water. Rack the wine/cider into it and wait a few days. Sweeten to taste and bottle.

Back