Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UselessBrewing

Reaction score
I took this to a beer club meeting and everyone liked it. This is the second time making this recipe and I am about to make it again. Partially because I'm almost out. (Again) :cross: this is from the Recipe Database Smooth Oatmeal Stout The goal is to smooth it out some more, and give it more Alcohol :drunk:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: (PB) Smooth Oatmeal Stout
Brewer: Preston
Style: Oatmeal Stout
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.34 gal
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 32.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 17.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) 4.44 %
6 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 60.00 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) 8.89 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) 6.67 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) 6.67 %
8.0 oz Barley, Roasted (140.0 SRM) 4.44 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) 4.44 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) 4.44 %
1.00 oz Williamette [5.20 %] (60 min) 17.9 IBU
1.00 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (0 min)
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 11.25 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 13.95 qt of water at 172.0 F 156.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 5.63 qt of water at 203.4 F 168.0 F

Changes that I think it needs:
Add
.5lb oats
1lb Clear Candi Sugar (More alcohol !)
.5lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)
Different Hops (Maybe Hallertauer)
Remove:
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
Different Yeast

The new ingredient bill would look like this for the next batch:
12 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) 4.17 %
6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 50.00 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) 12.50%
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) 8.33 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) 6.25 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) 6.25 %
8.0 oz Barley, Roasted (140.0 SRM) 4.17 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (60 min) 13.2 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (0 min)
1 lbs Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) 8.33 %
1 Pkgs Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023) Yeast-Ale

What would you change and why? Let me know what your thoughts are.

Cheers :mug:

I would knock off the crystal 40 as well, I don't see you you'd get anything but fermentables from it given the amount of 120, chocolate and roasted.

In fact I've never understood why people add so many different types of the low crystal grains to stouts and porters, it seems to me like anything they're offering would be completely masked.

z987k said:
I would knock off the crystal 40 as well, I don't see you you'd get anything but fermentables from it given the amount of 120, chocolate and roasted.

In fact I've never understood why people add so many different types of the low crystal grains to stouts and porters, it seems to me like anything they're offering would be completely masked.
The Smooth Oatmeal Stout was my recipe, I'm glad you are enjoying it.:D The reason I added the crystal 40 was to add sweetness and a caramel flavor to the beer. The roast flavors are quite restrained with only 20oz of roasted grains all under 350L.

As for your modifications. Adding Candi sugar and removing the crystal 40 will result in a beer that is less sweet. More alcohol is probably counter productive to a smooth texture. I think the beer you suggest would be great but may not seem smoother. Depending on how you perceive smoothness some lactose to make this a sweet stout may be the ticket.

Craig

Thanks for the reply CBBaron. This is exactly why I posted. I will add the Crystal back in and try adding some Lactose. My hope was that adding the Candi Sugar would bring some sweetness to it, and in return smoothing it out. What would happen if I added .25lb more of 40L? Also if you were to do a different Yeast what would it be?
I just started making the Candi Sugar myself. It takes patience and a few extra HB's but it seems to be worth it, and besides it saves a few extra $.

Yeah, the lighter crystal malts are a good way to get sweetness in such a beer, just like adding sugar to coffee. They certainly have a place in sweeter stouts.

I would also lose the sugar. That will dry out the beer, and more alcohol will just thin it out. If you just want to get a buzz on, find a better way than messing up a nice oatmeal stout.

You can get rid of those rice hulls, too. Even 1.5# of oats is not excessive and should not gum up your mash. Those rice hulls do little more than cost money and precious wort.

On hops, I really like Fuggle here, and I do not care for flameout additions in aotmeal stouts. Flameout additions mask the oaty and chocolately aromas that just make these beers so succulent. Just eliminating that flameout addition will smooth your perception of the beer.

I bet that 120L crystal will be nice, but you might want to try this recipe with and without it. Again, it is a matter of letting the chocolate and roasted barley come through more as chocolate, rather than as prunes, figs, or other dark fruit. I don't think the 120L crystal is a mistake, but you might find you prefer your stout without it or with less. It's a matter of personal taste only.

TL

TexLaw said:
Yeah, the lighter crystal malts are a good way to get sweetness in such a beer, just like adding sugar to coffee. They certainly have a place in sweeter stouts.

Is there any benefit to layering different types of caramel malt in a recipe? Do the darker one dominate?

Well, the darker malts can dominate in the sense they have bolder flavors. However, they will only dominate the flavors other than simple sweetness. Of course, it also is a matter of how much of each you use.

Lighter crystal malts impart more simple sweetness, medium crystal malts add more caramel flavor, and darker crystal malts add more dark fruit character. They are all on a spectrum, though, so do not take my statement as one of absolutes. So, yes, there is some benefit or, at least, a reason to layer them or mix them in different quantities where appropriate. For example, if you want sweetness and some dark fruit notes, then you can use some light crystal and some dark. Using medium is not a proper compromise since it is not as sweet and does not impart dark fruit character.

TL

nl724 said:
Is there any benefit to layering different types of caramel malt in a recipe? Does the darker one dominate?
Different crystals have different flavors.
Light crystals are sweet and have a caramel flavor. Darker crystals are more roasty with plum and raisin flavors. In many beers a balance between the 2 works nice.
I don't think that the darker flavors necessarily dominate but they may be slightly stronger requiring a little more light crystal than dark to get equal flavors from both.

Craig

Back