American IPA Hopslam Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
read thru this thread and this is DEFINITELY getting brewed in the near future.

I saw a few people ask but not too many answers...those who dry hopped, what did you use and how much? thanks

EDIT: just reread the original recipe and saw 3 oz of simcoe...is that what ppl have been using?

Just added 3 oz of simcoe pellets tonight...

During the boil I had to sub cascade for amarillo, our lhbs doesn't carry amarillo. I pushed most of the hop additions to the last 5-10 minutes to try and lower the IBU's as much as possible. I also used 1.4# of honey at flameout and threw in what was left in the jar, .5# or so, when I racked to secondary.

Great recipie though, can't wait to taste the finished product!

did this for national home brewers day.

IMG_20130505_203857_zpsc400d83e.jpg

you can kind of see all the hop cups laid out in the back.
i was xfering back to the BK for the boil... all in all, it sure as hell scared me when using my false bottom for the first time in the boil kettle isntead of the hop sock.

What's the general consensus on the IBUs? I see from several posts that the original Hopslam is closer to 65-70 IBUs and this recipe has it closer to 130+. That seems like a pretty significant difference. Is it noticeable? Does it matter? How close to the original Hopslam is this? The reason why I ask is that I've seen several clones for this out there and I have about 8 bottles left from Feb. to try and compare. Im trying to decide which recipe to use and thought one with stats closer to what Bell's states would be "better". Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

I was thinking about halving all hop additions to get it closer to 70 IbUs.

Kidagora, did you end up adjusting your hop additions to get it closer to 70 IBU's? And if so, could you list your updated hop schedule?

This recipe is on my list and I'm wondering if I should just say eff it and go with the original recipe on the first page since it seems to be getting a lot of great reviews as is...

Here's the hop schedule I used for a 5g extract recipe. It's been bottled for two weeks now and tastes pretty close but still no carb bite... I think if you wanted closer to 70 IBU's you could cut on the Columbus and Simcoe by 0.25 each as the original is not that bitter. Brought it down to 72 IBU with 0.75 Columbus and 0.75 Simcoe when I recalculated. I still have a sixer of Hosplam I'm waiting to compare but I fear the original will have settled out the flavor. We'll see.

Also, IBU's were calculated after extract was mixed so I believe that's the reason for lower scale; at least my numbers were different compared to when I dropped the extract (beginning-lower, end-higher).

My schedule:
1oz Columbus 15% @ 60min (19IBU)
1oz Simcoe 13% @ 60min (16IBU)
1oz Chinook 11% @45min (13IBU)
1oz Centennial 10% @30min (10IBU)
1oz Citra 14% @ 15min (10IBU)
1oz Amarillo 10% @ 10min (5IBU)
2oz Simcoe 13% @ Turn Off (4.5 IBU)
2oz Amarillo 10% @ Turn Off (3IBU)

~80.5 IBU's Via Beer Alchemy Calculation.

Dry Hopped
3 oz Simcoe Secondary

Brewed March 14th
Racked to Secondary April 14
Bottled May 5th

good god, i have this thing kegged now... this is intense and amazing :mug:

I made this just over a year ago and it turned out perfect except it never did carb in the bottles. Is the alcohol too high for natural carbonation? I tried agitation, warmer area, ect. with no luck. The other night I finally opened them all and poured into a keg to carbonate with my new CO2 set up. The good part is I'm sure a year age will be nice for this big of a beer.

Lots of people bottle carb similar or higher ABVs.

Maybe too much of the yeast dropped out during aging.

Seems odd though. If you added sugar for bottling, you'd think the yeast would eat it eventually.

Lots of people bottle carb similar or higher ABVs.

Maybe too much of the yeast dropped out during aging.

Seems odd though. If you added sugar for bottling, you'd think the yeast would eat it eventually.

I know, if I have a problem it's usually the opposite...excessive carbonation. One thing I did notice was it is unusually clean in the bottles with no sediment. I think my yeast count must have been low. Oh well, it will be delicious in a few days. :mug:

Glad to see recent activity for this clone.

I plan on taking on the Hopslam clone this weekend. For those who've recently brewed this, what yeast setup did you guys use? I saw doubling up on dry yeast was fairly common, or would a Wyeast with a starter be sufficient for such a big beer?

Glad to see recent activity for this clone.

I plan on taking on the Hopslam clone this weekend. For those who've recently brewed this, what yeast setup did you guys use? I saw doubling up on dry yeast was fairly common, or would a Wyeast with a starter be sufficient for such a big beer?

I don't know if you could get a big enough starter by the weekend. I would go dry with 2 or 3 packets in this case. I normally like a big starter if time permits.

So, just FYI... i do'nt know what happened, but i never took a FG reading until the keg was almost gone. I got horribly goofy after 2 pints so i checked into what the FG was... i was expecting 1.020.. but 2 packs of S-05 got it down to 1.008.. which after my calculations ended at almost 11% abv. no **** i got retarded :mug: great recipe!

So, just FYI... i do'nt know what happened, but i never took a FG reading until the keg was almost gone. I got horribly goofy after 2 pints so i checked into what the FG was... i was expecting 1.020.. but 2 packs of S-05 got it down to 1.008.. which after my calculations ended at almost 11% abv. no **** i got retarded :mug: great recipe!

Another FYI...the batch I just transferred to keg yesterday had a FG of 1.012. I also used 2 packs of S-05. Mine however only had an OG of 1.084 so I think I'm right around 9.5%.

I used about 250ml of harvested S-05 yeast. I was able to get it down to 1.002. Be warned - this is a potent beer…wife loves it but it kicks my butt if I drink more than a couple.

One weekend we treated it as a session….I do not recommend anyone do that…its got a kick!

Enjoying a bottle now. Finally carbed up and I'm pleasantly surprised how close this is to the original. Still a little off per my own recipe but the overall the malt flavor is dead on. Think the extra ABV and the higher temp/FG had an impact. Used 2 packs wyeast North American in a 2L starter.

Glad all of you had success with this, mine wasn't all that great. I think I had too many sugars or unfermentables that made a bit syrupy/ cidery.

I just bottled mine tonight. I didn't add any extra yeast to the bottling bucket, what are the chances it won't carb? I was just reading about how high abv beers should always have new yeast when bottling.. is this a rule of thumb that I missed?

I just bottled mine tonight. I didn't add any extra yeast to the bottling bucket, what are the chances it won't carb? I was just reading about how high abv beers should always have new yeast when bottling.. is this a rule of thumb that I missed?

I made a double IPA that checked in around 1.091 for OG and bottled it the same as I would a low gravity beer and it carbed up just fine...

Just be patient with this big of beer... With no added yeast at bottling it took 5 weeks at 70 degrees to carb up enough to be enjoyed. It was even better after 8 weeks. As long as you made a big enough starter you should be fine.

I had the exact opposite problem. I don't think the honey completely fermented out in my brew...come bottling time with just that little extra bit of sugar the yeast went back to work. I had three bottle bombs from the batch but the rest are overly carbed

I made a 3 gallon batch of this on friday. I added some fresh cascade cones that I harvested the night before. I used some belg. Pils and the honey instead of sugar. I had to put on a blow off tube yesterday. I have a rapid fermentation goin on and it is smelling great.

ForumRunner_20130908_084454.jpg

I have Bell's House yeast on hand, does anyone know if this is what they use in Hopslap so I know it can handle the ABV level?

Zoidberg said:
I have Bell's House yeast on hand, does anyone know if this is what they use in Hopslap so I know it can handle the ABV level?

Yes, they use the house yeast in Hopslam. The only beers that don't use that strain are their lagers and a few specialty beers, like Winter White.

It was difficult to carb in the keg, actually had to let it sit at 25PSI for a few days longer than normal. Also seemed real thick almost syrupy at first. But it's getting a little better. It was pretty good last night when I took this pic. I'm going to try again in a few days.

I just got done kegging half and bottling the other half of my 7 gallon batch. I noticed when taking hydrometer samples that there was a lot of residual CO2 in the samples, my gravity dropped a point once i shook it all out. Anyone else notice this? This was my first imperial and I used Bell's House Yeast.

Most of my beers have had an abundance of CO2 in them lately. I have to draw out a sample and let it sit a while before I can get an accurate gravity on it. I used WLP001

My grain is ready to go just couldn't get any Centennial. Any idea what would be the best sub? I have plenty of Columbus, Cascade, and Chinook.

Great brew today. Only hit 1.092 OG. Not bad for my first AG brew. Can't wait to drink it Cheers

Great brew today. Only hit 1.092 OG. Not bad for my first AG brew. Can't wait to drink it Cheers

Nothing to be ashamed of, same gravity I hit. Still got the final gravity down to give me 10 abv. Bottled it yesterday and tastes awesome. Added 1.5 oz. of Amarillo to the dry hop just for fun. Can't wait for it to prime up.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Can't wait to brew this and keep the grain recipe the same; might have to switch up some hops since I got me lots of Citra to use up; my co-workers/buddies rave about Hop Slam; I had it once and can't remember too much about it (maybe that is a good sign of it being good!)

I just bought 6-6packs of hopslam today. The batch I brewed of it on Sunday had now taken off in the fermenter. Like gang busters. Can't wait to have a taste of it.

Back