1950's Westinghouse convert to kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antler

Reaction score
This antique refrigerator just popped up on the local classifieds for sale and the guy says it works great. I'm wondering how many ball locks will fit in this thing. I'm also hoping this thing has the "easily removeable" style freezer instead of two separate compartments. I'm waiting for the guy to get back to me with interior dimensions and I'll post them up as soon as he gets back to me, but in the meantime has anyone used one of these for a kegerator? How many ball locks can it fit?

image-3350151577.jpg

I think so too! I was dead set on a keezer until I saw this and my mind started wandering lol

I have a similar ages General Motors Fridgidaire and I can fit two kegs and the CO2 tank under the rack/icebox. Heres a sense of size/space. If i moved the CO2 out, i could probably fit 3.

2.jpg

Tiktock said:
I have a similar ages General Motors Fridgidaire and I can fit two kegs and the CO2 tank under the rack/icebox. Heres a sense of size/space. If i moved the CO2 out, i could probably fit 3.

Nice looking setup you have there! Would it be possible for you to test fitment of another corny in there?

The guy finally got back to me. The dimensions of the floor of the refrigerator is 19"x40.5"

That can't be right, over 3ft wide inside? He must have measured height x width right?

I have a similar fridge, they work well but are small...2 cornys w/ gas inside, maybe 3 w/ gas outside is my guess. 19 X 40.5 is likely the front opening dimensions...they are smaller then they appear in pics IME...we have gotten used to huge fridges, not so back in the fifties, that was before Costco.

wilserbrewer said:
I have a similar fridge, they work well but are small...2 cornys w/ gas inside, maybe 3 w/ gas outside is my guess. 19 X 40.5 is likely the front opening dimensions...they are smaller then they appear in pics IME...we have gotten used to huge fridges, not so back in the fifties, that was before Costco.

Thanks. I have 3 perlicks bought so I'm dead set on 3 kegs in there, I don't mind have gas outside.

Thanks. I have 3 perlicks bought so I'm dead set on 3 kegs in there, I don't mind have gas outside.

3 will be tight. I think i'd have to do a tiny bit of modification to my door to allow the third as it would hang a tiny bit over the lip. You'll probably have to test your particular fridge to see for sure.

I went with two and the CO2 inside....I actually use a single tap and just slip the quick connects if i want to switch beers. I like the clean look of a single tap on the door.

Just FYI, in most of these older fridges I've seen, the cold plate in the freezer is what also cools the fridge part, so you can't remove the freezer box or the fridge won't get particularly cold.

TopherM said:
Just FYI, in most of these older fridges I've seen, the cold plate in the freezer is what also cools the fridge part, so you can't remove the freezer box or the fridge won't get particularly cold.

Yeah I don't think my idea would have worked out for that anyway.

I just got off the phone with this guy and he took some measurements for me. Side to side 19", front to back 17". By the sounds of this I should be able to fit 3 snugly right? 2 against the back wall and one in the center if I trim the inner door panel?

I'm hoping this is still available in a week when I get home to look closer!

I just got off the phone with this guy and he took some measurements for me. Side to side 19", front to back 17". By the sounds of this I should be able to fit 3 snugly right? 2 against the back wall and one in the center if I trim the inner door panel?

I'm hoping this is still available in a week when I get home to look closer!

Yes...but account for the door extending into the fridge as it does...just sayin be sure you really have 17". I use tall 1/4 sanke kegs and don't use my antique fridge cause it is so small FWIW. Only fits one :(

Also there is the question of cost to run for electricity, as well as the insulation seal for the door.

Speaking of which. With the beautifully clean one above, did you replace the door seals? If so what did you use? I have an old 1970's brown ugly one that is built in under my basement steps that I think could use a slightly better seal on.

From everything I've seen or read from people that have converted these fridges (both on HBT or elsewhere), between the heavy steel bodies, new insulation and seals, and the fact that the old refrigerants were more thermally efficient than new, these do an excellent job of cooling, and won't run that often.

I haven't started any work yet on my 1950 Westinghouse, so it's kind of an overflow fridge at this point. I have it set on the lowest possible setting (just this side of off), and even now it only runs for a minute or two per hour and keeps it a chilly 38 degrees inside.

I must admit though that my old one is quiet as heck (I didn't think it even worked when I first plugged it back in because I couldnt hear it) and gets cold. The seal just appears to be slipping. Also there is the question of whether or not the insulation settles, and rust damage. Just make sure you look it over well and make sure it cools. Also, must be really fun to move.

wilserbrewer said:
Yes...but account for the door extending into the fridge as it does...just sayin be sure you really have 17". I use tall 1/4 sanke kegs and don't use my antique fridge cause it is so small FWIW. Only fits one :(

Thanks! I'm willing to hack the inside of the door

From everything I've seen or read from people that have converted these fridges (both on HBT or elsewhere), between the heavy steel bodies, new insulation and seals, and the fact that the old refrigerants were more thermally efficient than new, these do an excellent job of cooling, and won't run that often.

I haven't started any work yet on my 1950 Westinghouse, so it's kind of an overflow fridge at this point. I have it set on the lowest possible setting (just this side of off), and even now it only runs for a minute or two per hour and keeps it a chilly 38 degrees inside.

Yes mine is the same. I have it a HAIR about "defrost" and mines its pretty at 36 degrees. If I budge it a hair more, it tracks at 33 degrees and if I put it at "1" out of 10 it freezes everything in the fridge.

Mine runs about 2-5 mins per hour...less if I put a bunch of thermal mass in it like three kegs...

I haven't noticed much electricity drain at all and I didn't change any seals or anything....

Anyone wanna put 3 ball locks together in a triangle shape and measure?

Just because I am feeling nice and too lazy to tell you to get the dimensions and do the math or use cardboard cutouts, 3 ball lock 2 handle rubber top and bottom kegs take up a 16X17.5 inch footprint using my kegs in a configuration like bowling pins (back two side by side touching and front one in between). The handles appear a tad oval though so this may be a little off. You can make it shallower if you spread the side by side ones out and move the front one back. What are the dimensions you are trying to fill. I can see what you can fit

DrunkleJon said:
Just because I am feeling nice and too lazy to tell you to get the dimensions and do the math or use cardboard cutouts, 3 ball lock 2 handle rubber top and bottom kegs take up a 16X17.5 inch footprint using my kegs in a configuration like bowling pins (back two side by side touching and front one in between). The handles appear a tad oval though so this may be a little off. You can make it shallower if you spread the side by side ones out and move the front one back. What are the dimensions you are trying to fill. I can see what you can fit

19" wide x 17" deep.

I have a GE fridge were the freezer is the full width of the inside of the fridge. I have three ball locks and CO2 inside.

I'm on the forum looking for tips on cutting/drilling holes for my shanks.

hi there,
I have restored my Westinghouse which is similar to this one. My only concern is that I need a handle for that which it missed from the beginning when I bought it.

20140327_221941.jpg

20140327_222001.jpg

Very nice! Could get creative on handle and use something like a beer tap, a metal stein, etc.

I'd replace the seal with a magnetic one to keep the door closed and then maybe look for a chrome truck door handle or something that will fit in that slot.

Big Chill makes vintage look refrigerators and they have some good looking door handles. You may be able to see if they sell them as replacement parts.

Finding an original one may be a challenge, but you can probably keep your eye on ebay or similar sites.

Back