Complete rookies.... help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShazzyShizzazy

Reaction score
We wanted to try brew our own Cider... we found this amazing site and read a few post then just decided to dive in. Now we have a couple of questions from the gurus...

First a little run down...
we bought 12 liters of yummy apple juice from the supermarket.
re-hydrated EC-1118 yeast and pitched it.
Unfortunately (foolishly) we did not add any extra sugar and did not take an OG reading.
It fermented slow and steady then after 2 weeks it had cleared so we racked it and topped the headspace with 720ml more juice.
We have left it to bulk age and now want to back-sweeten, bottle and allow to carbonate before pasteurizing.

My questions are:

*How much juice should be added for back-sweetening and allowing further bottle carbonation??? (dont want it very sweet just want to take the dry 'edge' off if that makes sense, also hope this will give it a little more flavour as the champ yeast seems to have left it a little bland)

*Is there any way for us to determine the ABV without an OG??? We did take a hydrometer reading but because we are such amateurs we took it after we had pitched the yeast... even then it was very low 1.042

any guidance is much appreciated :D

Since you didn't add anything, you could just buy another bottle of juice and find the OG, but I'll be willing to bet it was 1.052 !

^what he said.

When it comes to backsweetening & priming, I suggest first adding in your backsweetening. You can easily do this to taste by adding just a bit at a time until the desired level is reached. Then, on top of that add your priming sugar, which should raise the SG by 0.003-0.004. Then follow the pasteurization sticky as normal.

Awesome thanks for the advise!!! Got a reading from juice OG at 1.046 not super high but still a decent alc... Going to back sweeten n bottle this wknd.... Thanks for the carbing tip lebreton

I made 5 gallons of hard cider this fall with a bunch of orchard apples fermented with the natural apple yeasts. Also, this is my 1st fermentation... I added cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spices and a lot of brown and white sugar. I have it in a 5 gallon jug with air lock and I am ready to put it into smaller containers.
I know I can freeze it, but what are my other options?
Can I can it like I would tomato juice or will it continue to ferment and break the jar?
Also, I froze, or attempted to freeze some. It has been in the freezer two days now and it is like a slushy. I have read that in a typical freezer anything under 64 proof freezes solid.
Is it possible that I have 64+ proof hard cider?...?... just doesn't seem possible without distillation.
One more... What kind of hydrometer should I get to test the proof?

Can I can it like I would tomato juice or will it continue to ferment and break the jar?

Pasteurization temps will kill the yeast.

Also, I froze, or attempted to freeze some. It has been in the freezer two days now and it is like a slushy. I have read that in a typical freezer anything under 64 proof freezes solid.
Is it possible that I have 64+ proof hard cider?...?... just doesn't seem possible without distillation.

Most yeast have abv tolerance well below 20%. You likely still have high sugar concentration. Concentrated juices will not freeze solid.

What kind of hydrometer should I get to test the proof?

One frem your LHBS. Hydrometors do not check proof per se. You use Og-Fg to calculate the ABV.

Back