Has anyone tried several refractometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokfizix

Reaction score
I have looked around here for info on the pros and cons of different refractometers. From what I have seen in most of the posts, people generally have only tried their refractometer and are happy with what ever it is. I am interested in people who have tried more than one. For example the Vee Gee regractometers seem to cost $100, MoreBeer sells one for $60, others have found ebay ones for $20. How does these line up against each other? What does one get when they spend more money?

Mine was less than 20 on Homebrew Finds, it is always spot on. If I had two, one or both would always be wrong. Segal's Law

I'm not building Nuclear bombs, so if it calibrates well at 0 and then in a 5 or 10% solution then I'm happy. The other night I did a full test on every sample between my hydrometer and the refractometer, per the conversion table they were within 1%, good enough for me.

I've had mine for many years, It's so old it doesn't have an auto correct feature, which I believe is just a metal base that acts as a heat sink. I've compared it to others at brew parties and they seem to all be in the same range. The only one to avoid are those that have a scale in SG. Get one that reads Brix. That way you can use it more accurately "post ferment" using a simple formula.

Back