cherry ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer

Reaction score
I have had some cherry going for about two months in the secondary. Racked it today and it still reads 1030 and is sweet. Will it go ahead ahead and continue fermenting after a racking and adding c tabs? Thanks Mike

I'd skip the Camden tablets, rack, then see if you can warm it up to get the fermentation going again. Some yeast nutrient might help too.

I added the c tabs already ... five of them. Topped it off with about 1/3 gallon of water. I have nutrient on hand how much should one add at this point? It is a six gallon run and I sure would like it more on the dry side. Thanks Mike

Campden will kill your fermentation. Air it out for a few days, shake to aerate and repitch your yeast. 1.030 is way too high.

What was your recipe?

Campden will NOT kill your fermentation, just stun it. If after 2 months, SG is still that high, there was no fermentation.

Try a starter and slowly add some of the cherry to it until it is going well, then add it to the 6 gallon carboy.

campden will not kill a vigorous ferment but if you add it too yeast that are weak and in the ending stay of fermentation it will sometimes stop them.

Okay I mixed up about a cup of warm water with a couple tsp of sugar in a gallon jug. Slowly added the stalled wine till I got it close to full. Starter was going good so added half to the wine stirred well. Topped off the starter jug and waited. The starter jug stopped and nothing going on in the carboy. I used 1122 as that is all I have on hand. Any more ideas on how to get it going again? Thanks Mike

Okay I mixed up about a cup of warm water with a couple tsp of sugar in a gallon jug. Slowly added the stalled wine till I got it close to full. Starter was going good so added half to the wine stirred well. Topped off the starter jug and waited. The starter jug stopped and nothing going on in the carboy. I used 1122 as that is all I have on hand. Any more ideas on how to get it going again? Thanks Mike

What was the OG? It's possible that if your OG was too high, you've reached the alcohol tolerance of your yeast strain.

Thanks Yooper. It was my first try and I didn't have a hydrometer at the time. I looked at Lalvins table and it looks like 1118 would be better and has a higher tolerance. All the yeast is just sitting in a pile on bottom right now. Mike

Thanks Yooper. It was my first try and I didn't have a hydrometer at the time. I looked at Lalvins table and it looks like 1118 would be better and has a higher tolerance. All the yeast is just sitting in a pile on bottom right now. Mike

It's really hard to even get EC-1118 to start in a high alcohol environment. You can try a yeast starter, and then adding some of the wine to see if it can get going but once you get to about 12% alcohol, it's almost impossible to restart fermentation.

You may try using wlp099 ale yeast. I know for a fact that it would be able to start in an alcohol environment, though it will take at least a month to bring it down.

Thanks for the help. I don't mind waiting if I can just get it going. I talked to the HBS and he said to try 1116. I ordered some and will try. Where do you find the wlp099? Mike

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer said:
Thanks for the help. I don't mind waiting if I can just get it going. I talked to the HBS and he said to try 1116. I ordered some and will try. Where do you find the wlp099? Mike

Pretty much any HBS will have it, if not they will be able to get it for you. If you just make a small starter to get it going, and pitch, it will ferment your wine. That stuff is slow, but unstoppable.

I aid a raspberry wine that stalle and tryed everything to get it going but it would not go... But one guy suggested that there was to much acid in it that killed the yeast. He suggested to add 1/2 gallon of water. I added it and 5 day later it started up again. If it is too acidic the yeast will drop and go to sleep. Try this and pm me how it goes. By they way I added a extra pack of ec 1118 to help it start worked like a champ. I also put it in a oPen fermenter to help it get some air. Try also whipping it as well or heavily splash racking it.

Okay here is how I got it going again. Added nutrient and energizer and two packs of 1116 stirred and sloshed and waited............ nothing. Next day last resort drew off a gallon and set it aside for later use on another project, Mixed one 1116 one tst nutrient one tsp of energizer and 1/4 cup brown sugar in one gallon of Motts apple juice. Kind of like a one gallon apflewein. Let it sit most of the day and by evening it was rolling really good. Added to stuck batch and this morning it is finally going good again. I think I will be in for a wait for all the yeast and additives to settle out. I will probably use the cherry in a skeeeter pee mix. Thanks Mike

Latest posts

Back