First Yeast Starter Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm making a Hobgoblin clone and have two packets of Nottingham Dry Ale yeast that came with the ingredient kits (2 2.5 gallon kits). I also don't have a stir plate.

I have Muntons Dark DME. How should I mix this for my starter?

Should I use both yeast packets right away or one and step it up/add more DME after fermentation slows?

No need for a starter with dry yeast. I just sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort and let it o. Some prefer to "proof" the yeast first by adding it to 90* water and waiting 30 minutes or so till it gets foamy. As long as it's foamy it's good to pitch.

No need for a starter with dry yeast. I just sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort and let it o. Some prefer to "proof" the yeast first by adding it to 90* water and waiting 30 minutes or so till it gets foamy. As long as it's foamy it's good to pitch.

Bithead said:

Ok thanks! Guess I'll keep the 1/2 gallon jug and DME i just bought until my next batch lol

Bithead said:

Ok thanks! Guess I'll keep the 1/2 gallon jug and DME i just bought until my next batch lol

Back