Bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whake4

Reaction score
After allowing my wine to clear should I rack back into another carboy before bottling to leave as much sedement out as possible?

Whake4 said:
After allowing my wine to clear should I rack back into another carboy before bottling to leave as much sedement out as possible?

If your wine is in the secondary already i would leave it in there and let it drop out more solids then bottle. If your in the primary right now, then rack to a secondary. I wouldnt recommend going to a third carboy if your in your secondary now, because wine is touchy when it comes to oxidation.

usmcruz - are those huge frogs still hanging out under the street lights in Guam? Almost got killed skidding through a bunch of them in '76.

david_42 said:
usmcruz - are those huge frogs still hanging out under the street lights in Guam? Almost got killed skidding through a bunch of them in '76.

Thats funny, there are still millions of frogs here. Up at anderson, when you go through there front gates and travel that long road to the commisary its like that game frogger. "game over" for the frogs. I live on big navy and there is tons of them.

also when I bottle should I only fill till the shoulder part of the bottle or into the neck of the bottle?

yet another question. I am about 7 days into clarification to look at the wine it looks clear but if I shine a flashlight into it I can see the beam how long can I let this wine sit in a carboy to clear up, also should I add more clearing agents or just let it sit

Whake4 said:
yet another question. I am about 7 days into clarification to look at the wine it looks clear but if I shine a flashlight into it I can see the beam how long can I let this wine sit in a carboy to clear up, also should I add more clearing agents or just let it sit

Did you degas your wine before adding the clearing agents? if not then this might be keeping your wine from clearing. If not then get spoon and swish it around for a minute or two. Its ok to let the wine sit in the carboy for a while. I left mine in the carboy for a year.

I degassed with the spoon> I mixed it like crazy for 5 mins let it bubble for 2min Mixed again for 5 rested for 2 and did 1 last mix for 5 min, The wine is clear to the eye but in a book I was reading it said to check with a flash light and see if you can see the beam. would it have a negitive effect if i was to add more clearing agents?

Whake4,

If youre wanting total clarity of your wines then may I suggest you try filtering it.
If you do, rack the wine once more before you run it through the filter.

:)

Back