Etiquette regarding out-of-state or non-local competitions??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beowulf

Reaction score
Just curious to hear what you thought about entering out-of-state or non-local competitions. I know that the big ones like NHC attract homebrewers from around the country. However, do most people find it in good taste to enter out-of-state or non-local competitions? I know that it's legal, but is it frowned upon to have someone from Oregon win your local competition in Florida? Or is it pretty much a free-for-all and it's perfectly normal and accepted to have nationwide participation for any competition (unless there are rules stating otherwise)?

I've only entered our State Fair competition, but I'd be interested in other competitions as well....just not a lot of them are remotely close to me. Any thoughts? What has been your experience?

Just curious to hear what you thought about entering out-of-state or non-local competitions. I know that the big ones like NHC attract homebrewers from around the country. However, do most people find it in good taste to enter out-of-state or non-local competitions? I know that it's legal, but is it frowned upon to have someone from Oregon win your local competition in Florida? Or is it pretty much a free-for-all and it's perfectly normal and accepted to have nationwide participation for any competition (unless there are rules stating otherwise)?

I've only entered our State Fair competition, but I'd be interested in other competitions as well....just not a lot of them are remotely close to me. Any thoughts? What has been your experience?

Sure, that's fine. About 4 years ago, the top winners at a comp I judged at the County Fair in Wisconsin were from California.

Unless it's a club-only competition (for their club), it's open to all. Check out the BJCP website for the competition calendar, and enter any that look good to you!

Thanks, Yooper!! Glad that your thoughtful response was right in line with what I wanted to hear :)

Back