anyone ever upgrade a blichmann with standard fittings to tri clamp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radiant-designer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
have a chance to get a great deal on a blichmann conical, but it has the standard fittings. I really want tri clamps, so i was wondering if anyone knows if they can be upgraded?

In the end its not the worst thing, but why not upgrade if i can.

I do not believe that they can be changed out... I think the cone base and holes are a different size and cannot be converted.

Correct. The cone base is the major issue as the bottom is different to accept the Tri Clamp fitting. I almost bought a standard with the intention of upgrading to tri-clamps down the road and found that out. Unfortunately it's not as easy as just punching a bigger hole.

If you can find a good welder they can be upgraded.
I did 4 Blichmann's for a local brewery.
I converted them to be the same in construction as the Morebeer conicals.
The bottom port was increased to 1 1/2"
The racking port was increased to 1"
I also built racking arms with an indicator for each of them.

Why not just get a stout tank? They come with tri clamps and are almost better in every way, and a bit cheaper

damn.. I was hoping.... i had done a little searching and had seen that some people had thought it was possible becuase they have smaller tri-clamp fittings and gave some links to brewers hardware and some other sources.

I have a Blichmann conical with standard fittings. I love it. Although I've never used the tri clamps, I find the standards are easy to use and clean. Just my opinion. At the time I couldn't see spending the extra $ to get tri-clamp fittings. Again, just my opinion. I'm completely satisfied.

Back