Next question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukus

Reaction score
I looked through some recipes and have read a lot of the other threads and now I am looking for help.

I want to make hard cider but I don't want it to be dry, I would like a sweet cinnamon apple flavor. Does anyone have a recipe that would lend to this flavor?

Thanks for any help

Any cider will ferment to dry, because you want a fairly low alcohol beverage. So, the best way to deal with it is to let it finish and then stabilize your cider (with sorbate and campden) and then sweeten to taste. You can use nonfermentable sweeteners like splenda or equal, I guess, but I think it would taste odd.

It would seem to, if it works for you. I've not had good luck with it- it still can ferment up to 15% ABV and it still works out too dry for me.

Still, it might be worth a try!

I have used Splenda and I like it a lot. No slimy, fake taste at all. People don't like to see me put in half a cup of soda, then half my cider. They think I am trying to mask the flavor of my homemade goodness.

Well, many meads are dry, unless you sweeten them. I say make what you like and sweeten it up to taste. That's how I make all my wines- to my taste. It's not at all difficult.

1 cup of splenda in 5 gallons is a nice compromise. It's sweet but not weird tasting. My dad claims he can detect even the slightest hint of splenda in any volume of liquid and he told me there's no splenda in my cider. he's wrong.

for myself I am not too concerned about it being dry, but I want others to enjoy a nice fall/holiday hard cider

Thanks for all the insight

hows this recipe look:

-5 gallons fresh apple cider. (no sweeteners, or homogenization etc.)
-2 pounds brown sugar
-juice and zest from 1 lemon
-4 cinamin sticks
-cote de blanc WINE yeast
-yeast nutrient
-1 cup corn sugar for priming

how long should I ferment in primary before I rack to seconday and then how long in seconday?

Latest posts

Back