CO2 fills in Northern Virginia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garyius

Reaction score
Just moved to Northern Virginia just south of DC. Anyone have advice for a place to have my keezer CO2 tank filled?

I have a five pound. Pev's said $20, I will call Roberts and ask for pricing.

Thanks, guys

Go to Check-It Paintball out in Chantilly (near Dulles). They do a 10# fill for $21. I don't think they exchange, but I wanted a fill place since I bought brand new tanks.

I'm looking closest to Fairfax, so I guess Roberts is my best bet... will inquire about pricing (I think I have a 7# tank?). Currently running on my backup tank!

I last filled it at Scotty's in Alexandria, but that was when I lived close, and it was more convenience than anything else.

Bars by bud mepham also fills tanks. They are in merrifield by the merrifield home depot.

BBBM is a little ridiculous in pricing though they are really the only place I have found that fills instead of swaps. $23 for a 5# and $40 for my 15# where I always hear of it being only a few more bucks for larger tanks. Supposedly you really pay for the guys to get off their butts and fill it for you.

I was told last time I was there that the Arlington Market does fills, but when I called to inquire about my 15 they said they do trades only.

Just wish I could find that magically cheap fill station.

Well, just called Roberts and a 5# exchange is $24.41.

Rep said an exchange is an exchange, which is good since my tank is out of cert. This appears to be a good way to get a certified tank I can take elsewhere to refill cheaper next time ;-)

Go to Check-It Paintball out in Chantilly (near Dulles). They do a 10# fill for $21. I don't think they exchange, but I wanted a fill place since I bought brand new tanks.

+1 for Check-It Paintball

14511 Lee Jackson Memorial Highway
Chantilly, VA 20151-1511
(703) 378-1150

I got my 5# filled for $10 sometime last year.

Chantilly, VA 20151-1511
(703) 378-1150

This is the way to go. I'm about 20 minutes away but just find an excuse to be out there if I need a fill. They refill, not exchange. Was $10 for a 5lb when I was there in December. They dont list it, but said they can refill bigger tanks too. Dude I dealt with was also super nice.

Spectacular. My 5# just kicked yesterday. Thankfully I had my 15# full, though I was surprised by what I had to pay at Bars By Bud. Chantilly I can do.

This is the way to go. I'm about 20 minutes away but just find an excuse to be out there if I need a fill. They refill, not exchange. Was $10 for a 5lb when I was there in December. They dont list it, but said they can refill bigger tanks too. Dude I dealt with was also super nice.

Chantilly, VA 20151-1511
(703) 378-1150

here's your excuse: this is 3½ miles down the road from Dogfish Head Alehouse @ 13041 Rt 50

Reviving an old thread... Trying to get my 5 pounder filled and it seems Check-it paintball is no longer in business... or they changed their phone number. Any one have an idea if they're still around or another place I can go to get my new tank filled? Sort of trying to avoid the tank swap since mine is brand new!
Thanks guys.

just found a place thanks to a jeep forum...

Fireline in Leesburg, VA will refill tanks, 5 lb tanks anyway, for $20.
703-779-8728

They're only open until 4 pm though Mon-Fri so looks like it's a lunch break kind of thing.

Yeah, Check-It closed its doors this sprting/summer. When I was last at the Chantilly Total Wine they told me of another paintball shop that had opened that may have decent fill prices in Fairfax, but forgot the name and havent heard much otherwise.

for the $20 range, Bars by Bud is comparable for refills, pretty much the only refill place I have found, though you pretty much pay per pound with them. For swaps, I just go to myLHBS in 7-Corners, though they will not swap out my 15lb. They will only do the 5, 10, and 20 lb sizes. I am not too worried about swaps, though if you are going to buy to do swaps, get a refurbed one or a refurbed steel tank. You will prolbably end up with a aluminum one anyway.

Yeah, Check-It closed its doors this sprting/summer. When I was last at the Chantilly Total Wine they told me of another paintball shop that had opened that may have decent fill prices in Fairfax, but forgot the name and havent heard much otherwise.

for the $20 range, Bars by Bud is comparable for refills, pretty much the only refill place I have found, though you pretty much pay per pound with them. For swaps, I just go to myLHBS in 7-Corners, though they will not swap out my 15lb. They will only do the 5, 10, and 20 lb sizes. I am not too worried about swaps, though if you are going to buy to do swaps, get a refurbed one or a refurbed steel tank. You will prolbably end up with a aluminum one anyway.

Sweet, thanks for the info man! I'm sure after I get 1 fill in my new tank I wont care about swapping it out. It was a gift so I sort of want the person to see me using it at least once.
Pev's paintball is right off of rt 15 and they'll refill 5lb tanks for 24 bucks. I live around the Gainesville area so it's not too far for me to go.

I must say though, that I really wanna haul my 15# to Dicks Sporting goods and ask for a refill. Just to see what price they quote and their reaction.

If you find anywhere that fills 10, 15, and 20#ers for less than $40 please let me know.

I must say though, that I really wanna haul my 15# to Dicks Sporting goods and ask for a refill. Just to see what price they quote and their reaction.

If you find anywhere that fills 10, 15, and 20#ers for less than $40 please let me know.

Fireline in Leesburg just filled my 5 lb'er for 17 and they said 10 lbs is about 20 bucks. She told me all the prices but I don't recall what the 20 lb'er costs but I'm almost positive it was under $40. Give them a buzz and see. They're open until 4:30.

Under the assumption the Roberts Oxygen stores are all under the same pricing, they exchange 5# tanks for $17. That's what the Hagerstown store at least said. All their stores are open 7:30 to 5 M-F.

I think that might be Pev's Paintball. They opened a pro shop in Fairfax and it appeared they'll do refills.

Vienna Inn (703-938-9548, www.viennainn.com) will refill tanks. Only certain staff members can actually do the fill, so call ahead to make sure they're working. Over the phone rough estimate was $12 for 10# tank.

EDIT: A 10# tank fill is more like $27, not the $12 I was told by the waitress on the phone. I took my 10# and 5# tanks to get filled, and they had some issues filling the tanks and it was questionable as to whether they actually were filled, or just partially filled. He ended up only charging me for the 10# tank, and said that if they didn't end up being filled, come back and fill them for free, so at least it's an honest place. I may give them another shot since it'll be free, but maybe stick to Bars by Bud.

Wow. Thats pretty close to Bars by Bud but far more reasonable. Thanks, will have to give there a shot next refill of my 15#.

Vienna Inn (703-938-9548, www.viennainn.com) will refill tanks. Only certain staff members can actually do the fill, so call ahead to make sure they're working. Over the phone rough estimate was $12 for 10# tank.

have a chili dog while you're there :rockin:

they also have a decent, but limited selection on tap, including DB Vienna Lager :mug:

my first LHBS, Brew America used to be right behind there

Yesterday in Harrisburg Pa I paid $11.65 including tax for a 5 lb bottle. If you don't have a bottle it's a $70 deposit plus the $11.65. I am about to go to a four tap system, and have recently been force carbing some if my kegs, so I was thinking of going with a larger bottle.

PS: I Know this is about fills in Virginia, but want to add my two cents as a comparison.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Yesterday in Harrisburg Pa I paid $11.65 including tax for a 5 lb bottle. If you don't have a bottle it's a $70 deposit plus the $11.65. I am about to go to a four tap system, and have recently been force carbing some if my kegs, so I was thinking of going with a larger bottle.

PS: I Know this is about fills in Virginia, but want to add my two cents as a comparison.

Larger CO2 bottles do make for less hassle, but it really sucks more when you find you have a leak and kill a 10# lb bottle over a 5#er.

I use my 20 pounder for force carbing @ room temperature when there's no room in my keezer or conditioning dorm fridge.... it doesn't happen all the time but during the summer when I'm brewing to supply my thirsty self / friends I sometimes need it. It's connected to a 6 way manifold..... I guess I could slow down the consumption at party's but where's the fun in that?

I use my 20 pounder for force carbing @ room temperature when there's no room in my keezer or conditioning dorm fridge.... it doesn't happen all the time but during the summer when I'm brewing to supply my thirsty self / friends I sometimes need it. It's connected to a 6 way manifold..... I guess I could slow down the consumption at party's but where's the fun in that?

Just curious as to what pressure, time and I am assuming room temps are you doing to get your beer carbed up?
I have been getting it to serving temps and the force carbing at 30 lbs for 24 hrs. But sometimes cold storage and need doesn't always work out.

Called Roberts Oxygen .... they quoted me $28 for a 5lb exchange :drunk:

Dick's Sporting Goods can fill up to 24oz's however they don't have the adapter. If I were to refill 5lb's at Dick's it would cost me $15.... can't win!

http://www.robertsoxygen.com/

2929 Eskridge Road #A
Fairfax, VA 22031
(703) 698-5322
(703) 204-2913 (fax)
Retail Store

45000 Underwood Lane #N
Sterling, VA 20166
(703) 471-9586
(703) 471-9638 (fax)
Retail Store

8607 Quarry Road
Manassas, VA 20110
(703) 369-0400
(703) 631-8264 (fax)
Retail Store

I'm going to check out Vienna inn to get my fill sometime in the near future. i got a 3lb co2 tank that needs to be filled and i doubt they do exchanges for 3lb tanks at most places.

I went to roberts oxygen for my last exchange since there's one 3 miles down the road and i needed more co2 right away cause i was bottling beers from the keg at the time. Was $28! never going back there again.

Called Roberts Oxygen .... they quoted me $28 for a 5lb exchange :drunk:

Dick's Sporting Goods can fill up to 24oz's however they don't have the adapter. If I were to refill 5lb's at Dick's it would cost me $15.... can't win!

http://www.robertsoxygen.com/

2929 Eskridge Road #A
Fairfax, VA 22031
(703) 698-5322
(703) 204-2913 (fax)
Retail Store

45000 Underwood Lane #N
Sterling, VA 20166
(703) 471-9586
(703) 471-9638 (fax)
Retail Store

8607 Quarry Road
Manassas, VA 20110
(703) 369-0400
(703) 631-8264 (fax)
Retail Store

I think MyLHBS is cheaper than $28 for a 5# swap. Wait, Dicks said $15 for a 5# fill? there is one just down the street from me. I may have to check that out

I think MyLHBS is cheaper than $28 for a 5# swap. Wait, Dicks said $15 for a 5# fill? there is one just down the street from me. I may have to check that out

They told me they don't have an adapter to go from the paintball cylinders to the 5lb tanks. If you can figure that out (which it sounds like there is an option) and they allow you to fill, please report back you'd save a lot of brewers a lot of time and money!

I may check it out myself too :mug:

I'm going to check out Vienna inn to get my fill sometime in the near future. i got a 3lb co2 tank that needs to be filled and i doubt they do exchanges for 3lb tanks at most places.

Check out fireline in leesburg. They will fill your tank and not exchange it.

Does bars by bud do beer gas? Thinking about getting a nitro setup but I want to make sure filling the 75/25 beer gas tank wont be a pain to get done. Does anyone also know how much it is to fill a 5lb beer gas tank? Is it anymore than regular c02?

Called bars by bud and they do beer gas exchanges. They guy wasn't 100% sure on the price but he thinks they do it for the $35 range.

Back