Too many raisins?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derrick123

Reaction score
Hi, I made a blueberry wine one week ago with about 15 pounds of blueberries and added about 3 to 4 pounds of raisins.

When I taste it I find it has a nice taste but taste more like the raisins than the blueberries. For those who have similar wines, do you know if the blueberries will dominate as it ages?

Odds are that the raisin flavor will increase over time....sorry for the news when it's done it will taste a little like sherry

While this is bad news indeed, I would still drink me some raisiny wine. Actually sounds kinda nice...

Thanks for your posts.

It will be interesting for sure.

I thought if I added more berries at this point I may increase the alcohol content: I prefer not to do that.

Not really sure what to do.

I need to rack it into a Carboy tonight, it's around 1.025 or so.

stabilize after fermentation is done. add the blueberry juice and let it set a while to clear and make sure no new fermentation kicks up. then bottle...... I am far far far from an expert, but to me blueberries have such a subtle taste to them that adding about ANYTHING would over power them.

If u want a stronger blue berry flavor I recommend using the canned Oregon blue berries since they have been stewing in there own juices for who knows how long

True, that might have been just a bit heavy on the raisins ... two pounds would have been fine.
You'd want to crush the blueberries, add pectic enzyme, let it sit for at least overnight (to macerate), and then pitch and ferment with the skins still in the must. This should provide the most blueberry flavor, particularly if you did not dilute with a great deal of water. A yeast like D-47 would help to preserve the fruit essence too.
Still, your efforts should result in a pretty nice wine (even more so after a year or so of aging). Some wine tannin would have been a good addition too.

Back