Missed OG on Belgian Quad by .015 - Let it stay or add to it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMCYoder

Reaction score
So I just made a Quad as my going away beer for the Marines. I figured I would let it primary now, and when I leave let it secondary for 6 months till I come back. I planned on having a 1.088, but I only hit a 1.073. Here is the recipe:

Belgian Pilsner - 1.00 lb
Belgian Caramel Munich Malt 40 - 1.00 lb
Belgian Special B - 0.75 lb
Belgian Biscuit Malt - 0.50 lb
Belgian Aromatic Malt - 0.50 lb
Extract - Golden Light Liquid Extract - 6.00 lb
Extract - Pilsen Light Liquid Extract - 3.15 lb
Sugar - Belgian Soft Candi Sugar Brown - 1.00 lb
Sugar - Belgian Soft Candi Sugar Blond - 1.00 lb
German Northern Brewer 9.4 % - 0.25 oz (60)
German Hallertauer 3.8 % - 0.75 oz (30)
UK Golding 5.0 % - 0.70 oz (30)

2 Packets of Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity

I mashed at 147 and hit my pre-boil gravity of 1.016 so I know it had to do something with either the extract or the sugar. I'm just in debate of keeping it on the low end of the quads, or possibly adding sugar/dme to bring it up.

Suggestions??

Why not add another pound of unrefined sugar 4-5 days into ferment. I feel the key is to use a good flavor sugar, I've recently been on a panella kick.

Semper fi

Like the idea. I keep sitting here debating on adding extra sugar in a few days or just let it go. I'm leaning mire toward the sugar because I wanted the bigger beer but we will see.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I see a couple of advantages of this method, it will help with attenuation, that will make this beer more " belgian" in nature. With extract you do have to be concerned about it's fermentability. I also feel it will add some flavors that would be great in this style.

agreed. adding sugar mid fermentation is traditional in these big belgian beers. I do it with both my quad and tripel.

Just make a quick syrup from the sugar (1lb of sugar to 1 cup of water is pretty standard I think). Cool, and add once fermentation is past 50% (aka, shows the slightest signs of slowing down).

agreed. adding sugar mid fermentation is traditional in these big belgian beers. I do it with both my quad and tripel.

Just make a quick syrup from the sugar (1lb of sugar to 1 cup of water is pretty standard I think). Cool, and add once fermentation is past 50% (aka, shows the slightest signs of slowing down).

Definitely going to try this. Do we know how many gravity points this will adjust? If I can't find panela, can I just use some belgian candi sugar?

Latest posts

Back