Substitute for Black Roasted Barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yournotpeter

Reaction score
I've got a recipe for an Oatmeal Stout that calls for Black Roasted Barley (500L). My LHBS only carries Roasted Barley (300L). Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could use as a replacement for the Black Roasted Barley my recipe calls for? THANKS!!

I doubt there will be much of a difference at that level. You shouldn't be using that much anyways.

I know I wouldn't be able to taste the difference.

You can use the 300L just use a little more. Carafa is more like Chocolate malt (which is good in an Oatmeal Stout imo...but in addition to Roasted Barley).

You can use the 300L just use a little more. Carafa is more like Chocolate malt (which is good in an Oatmeal Stout imo...but in addition to Roasted Barley).

I make an ESB with 1 oz of Muntons black barley (675L) for color and a little complexity flavor-wise.
My last batch I substituted 2 oz of Weyermanns roasted barley (375L).
The 'roasty' flavor completely dominated the beer, though it is now 12 weeks old and it is starting to mellow.

So my advice is to not double up on roasted barley if the recipe says black barley..
Black patent might be a better choice.

I'm seeing some confusion myself with black roasted and roasted barley. The last time I purchased some "roasted barley" it was almost black. This was a drastic constrast to what I just used up which was more of a dark red with garnet highlights. I visited my local store's site and they advertise it as roasted but at 500 lovi. Sounds to me I got some black roasted barley.

To further muddy the water, I picked up a pound of Weyermann's chocoloate rye. Weyermann advertises it with a lovi range around 245. The malt came with a LD Carlson label on it stating it was Weyermann choc. rye but at 400 (somthing close to that). What do you believe?

I'm seeing some confusion myself with black roasted and roasted barley. The last time I purchased some "roasted barley" it was almost black. This was a drastic constrast to what I just used up which was more of a dark red with garnet highlights. I visited my local store's site and they advertise it as roasted but at 500 lovi. Sounds to me I got some black roasted barley.

To further muddy the water, I picked up a pound of Weyermann's chocoloate rye. Weyermann advertises it with a lovi range around 245. The malt came with a LD Carlson label on it stating it was Weyermann choc. rye but at 400 (somthing close to that). What do you believe?
I would ask the local store who the maltster is and exactly what product it is. You may be able to go to the maltster's site and find out. Like with your Weyermann Chocolate Rye. Weyermann is pretty good about having that info on their site. Not all maltsters do but many do. Looks like 245L is about right.

The difference in color on the bag may be the difference between Lovibond and EBC. EBC color is used in Europe and is a little more than 2x the Lovibond rating.

Munich malt that I buy that is 8L is like 20 EBC.

Back