Local beer swap-o-rama!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMan

Reaction score
The final List of Participants:

1) theman
2) jaydog2314
3) coldcrash
4) 427cobra
5) dotjerdot
6) tankcrash
7) bigmike99
8) drphunk
9) ZamaMan
10) Lovesipas

I took some inspiration from keywest and his MAW thread. And double checked with Pappers that this would be ok to do.

I would like to arrange a random swap of local beers with 13 other members here. It would be similar to the "beer it forward" concept on another site. The main goal is to share beer that is not obtainable by the recipient. It does not have to be rare or limited stuff. Just local brewed beer.

Here are the basic rules:
-you agree to ship a minimum of 200 oz., which is only about 16 (12oz.) Bottles
-your selections should be LOCAL to you and not distributed where your designated recipient resides. Use seekabrew if needed.
-your recipient must have their beer by June 7. This gives us 3 weeks to complete.
-you must have 100 posts to join in.

The rest of the details:
The first 13 members to let me know they are in, are in (I am the 14th member). Once I have a list of all participants I will collect their addresses via pm and then randomly select who ships beer to who. You won't necessarily be shipping to the person that is shipping to you. If two participants happen to be in the same area, ill adjust it to change that.

Once I have my list of who ships where, ill pm each person the address where they are shipping. Keep this secret, it'll make it more fun! You will then be expected to ship your local beer, abiding by the rules above. We will all post our awesome hauls when received and enjoy.

The forum is not responsible for anyone that abuses this swap-o-rama, we all take equal risk in participating.

Let me know if you have any questions. Hopefully I didn't miss anything.

Cheers!

sounds very interesting, are you suggesting 16 different beers or any mix & match of local brews to make up 16?

Good question. It does not matter. It could be 3 Sixers. Or three 4 packs plus one 12 oz. Or a giant mess of different beers. As long as its 200 oz, and all cans. Then its all good.

I chose 200 oz because no matter how you dice it, this should only cost someone $30-40 in beer. And I felt that was a good level to start with.

Ideally not all the same beer, that's kind of boring. The idea is to give someone a taste of what else is out there that is really not available to many.

Sounds like a really cool idea...COUNT ME IN!!!. I love trying beers from different regions and I like that's regular beers not the hard to find rare ones. can't wait.

Sweet! The list so far:

1) theman
2) jaydog2314

Twelve spots left.

I just noticed your an Illinois guy too...looks like two people will be happily sipping some combo of half acre and revolution in a few weeks.

I just noticed your an Illinois guy too...looks like two people will be happily sipping some combo of half acre and revolution in a few weeks.

Finches cans their beer, too, and I suspect they're not widely distributed. This looks like a fun swap - good luck!

NJ local breweries only bottle thier beer. Wonder if others will have to not participate for the same reason. :(

NJ local breweries only bottle thier beer. Wonder if others will have to not participate for the same reason. :(

If this becomes an issue for too many people I will open it up...as it is, I'm kinda bummed that I've excluded nj lol...I had no intentions of this as I kinda thought everyone would have access to a somewhat local canning brewery.

None in ny that you can use?

TheMan said:
If this becomes an issue for too many people I will open it up...as it is, I'm kinda bummed that I've excluded nj lol...I had no intentions of this as I kinda thought everyone would have access to a somewhat local canning brewery.

None in ny that you can use?

Only thing sticking out in my head is blue point toxic sludge but that's seasonal. A local brewery "Carton" will be canning one of their beers in the near future so maybe ill get in on the next one. Although I'm not sure if anyone really wants 200oz of one beer. Lol Anyway enjoy guys! Local swaps are lots of fun! I get in on the Ratebeer ones all the time!

Cheers
Ed

Aww man, another thing to get sucked into! I'll probably wait until the next round.

I was a little concerned about the can thing, but just did a little snooping and easily found 4 or 5 PA/MD breweries who can--some with wider distribution than others.

How local/ limited distro does it need to be? I guess just so long as the recipient wouldn't otherwise have access?

I was a little concerned about the can thing, but just did a little snooping and easily found 4 or 5 PA/MD breweries who can--some with wider distribution than others.

How local/ limited distro does it need to be? I guess just so long as the recipient wouldn't otherwise have access?

Yeah sounds like as long as you can provide at least a few different ones for variation is cool. That way if nothing else the receiver has a few of each. Sounds better to me than 16 of one or 16 different ones.

As long as your recipient can't buy them in their area, its all good. Ideally it would be very local stuff, but that doesn't work for everyone. If you feel you have a good assortment of stuff that isn't distributed very far, join in.

Also, the can thing was just added to provide a little twist. If this is successful then the next round may not be cans. Might just open it up to anything. Or, if we don't get enough people this time, I will have to open it up a bit.

Three so far. The can thing might be holding people back. I'll wait a couple days. If we aren't full then ill eliminate cans, and just highly recommend cans haha.

1) theman
2) jaydog2314
3) coldcrash

So, if anyone is following this, keep checking back in case the rules change and you are then eligible.

Ok, enough people have expressed interest, but lack cans to use. Bottles are now ok.

The problem with naming a dollar figure, we will use $40 for example, is that you can get one guy receiving 2 $20 bombers while at the same time another guy gets 4 $10 Sixers.

Since the idea is to spread local beer and not just throw around expensive, rare, or limited (you certainly can though) beer, naming an oz. figure would help to ensure everyone is getting equal share.

Through my trading over the past year or so I have had many guys include a couple random 12 oz bottles or cans of something local to them that I would have never known existed, let alone known to ask for in a trade. These are the kind of things I am trying to get out there and shared with others.

Hopefully this helps everyone understand the logic behind the guidelines that were set. If you guys disagree and would like to change it up then I am all for taking ideas. Put them out here and we can come up with something that we all agree upon.

The problem with naming a dollar figure, we will use $40 for example, is that you can get one guy receiving 2 $20 bombers while at the same time another guy gets 4 $10 Sixers.

Since the idea is to spread local beer and not just throw around expensive, rare, or limited (you certainly can though) beer, naming an oz. figure would help to ensure everyone is getting equal share.

Through my trading over the past year or so I have had many guys include a couple random 12 oz bottles or cans of something local to them that I would have never known existed, let alone known to ask for in a trade. These are the kind of things I am trying to get out there and shared with others.

Hopefully this helps everyone understand the logic behind the guidelines that were set. If you guys disagree and would like to change it up then I am all for taking ideas. Put them out here and we can come up with something that we all agree upon.

I like the current setup it allows for variety of local brews without the 'rare' ones being required. And I agree by setting an ounce quality it ensures everyone is getting a fair trade. I hope this fills up bc i think its an awesome. I've been tracking MAW and i can never seem to get in on it so I like this idea a lot!

Make that 10! Should be at 100 by tomorrow then will join in if there still is spots!

TheMan said:
Through my trading over the past year or so I have had many guys include a couple random 12 oz bottles or cans of something local to them that I would have never known existed, let alone known to ask for in a trade. These are the kind of things I am trying to get out there and shared with others..

This. Great idea.

Although I would not object if I were to receive 200 oz of Ghandi Bot! ;)

I love this idea and hope that something like this is happening again whenever I hit 100 posts

Ok, four confirmed:

1) theman
2) jaydog2314
3) coldcrash
4) 427cobra

If you guys want, I think I have 3 others interested that were not quite to 100 posts. I'm willing to add them in if it means we can do this. Since you three meet the criteria, ill leave this as a group decision. And we can swap with just 7 or so of us.

Let me know what you guys think.

Back