Light vs extra light/pilsen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdawson9

Reaction score
Hi there. I love IPAs and pale ales and wondered what folks preferred for extract base. I used golden light with my last IPA and enjoyed it. I have a pale ale ready to keg that I brewed with Pilsen and it seemed much lighter and subdued. Guess that's the point but was curious to see what everyone else used. Thanks for your thoughts!!

For PA/APA/IPA's I use plain light extract,usually LME,then add plain light Munton's DME. Gives that DFH sort of amber orange color.

I used DME extra light before end, I was shocked on how light it was. Mostly I use an golden light but when I have the need to brew something very light again I will use the extra light, perhaps with a Summer ale.

The next IPA I have up is actually going to be more of an orange color not quite an amber but not light, I will need to steep some Crystal 40 and Munich with it to give some color.

I don't use LME anymore, but see below for DME ratings.

As a point of reference, American 2-row pale malt in its pure form is approx. 34-37 ppg and about 2 L.

Briess Pilsen Light DME = 44 ppg / 2 L = (American Pils Malt & Carapils)
Briess Golden Light DME = 43 ppg / 5 L (American 2-row, Carapils, & Light Crystal Malt)
Muntons Light DME = 44 ppg / 5 L (English 2-row, Carapils, & Light Crystal Malt)
Muntons Extra Light DME = 37 ppg / 3 L (English 2-row & Carapils)

The higher the L, the darker the extract. Adding half (or more) of your extract very late in the boil helps to minimize wort darkening, among other benefits. The ppg rating has to do with the amount of available sugars in the extract. For example, if the ppg of extract is 1.037, then putting 5 pounds in 5 gallons of water (1 lb/gal) would yield an original gravity of 1.037.

Back