Hop additions to amarillo pale ale kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsyoung

Reaction score
I am brewing the Amarillo pale ale kit from Midwest and want to add some additional hops to it. I've heard the combo of Amarillo and simcoe go we'll together and want to add simcoe to it but I'm not sure when I should add them. The hop schedule is Columbus at 60, Amarillo at 20 and Amarillo at flameout. Any suggestions on when to add the simcoe? Thanks

I think dry hopping is a waste of expensive hops like simcoe and Amarillo, unless you want your beer to smell like a hop garden every time you pour a pint.

I think dry hopping is a waste of expensive hops like simcoe and Amarillo, unless you want your beer to smell like a hop garden every time you pour a pint.

Oh heck ya!!
I dry hopped with citra, simcoe and amarillo on my recent IIPA. Amazing.

I am a huge fan of amarillo and simcoe together and separately. Great balance of bitter, citrus and resinous qualities. I say dry hop if you can, but if not, just combine the hops at each scheduled addition and make sure you add at 5 minutes to flameout. Sounds like a quality brew.

drives_a_bike said:
I'm brewing this kit tomorrow, and dry hopping with simcoe

I added .5 oz of simcoe to each Amarillo addition and I haven't tasted the final product yet bc it's still conditioning in the bottle but the samples tasted and smelled great.

I just finished cleaning up...I did the 20 minute addition as called, but then broke the flameout addition into .5oz at 10min and .5oz at flameout. I will still dryhop with simcoe .

I added .5 oz of simcoe to each Amarillo addition and I haven't tasted the final product yet bc it's still conditioning in the bottle but the samples tasted and smelled great.

how did it turn out? i'm brewing this kit next week. did you add the 1oz amarillo at flameout, if so what was your process? this is only my 2nd batch so not really sure how long to let the flameout sit before i start to cool the wort.

jaydog2314 said:
how did it turn out? i'm brewing this kit next week. did you add the 1oz amarillo at flameout, if so what was your process? this is only my 2nd batch so not really sure how long to let the flameout sit before i start to cool the wort.

It turned out great. I began to cool it right after the flameout addition. The only thing I wish I had done was dry hop. For some reason I did not do it and I wish it had that additional aroma and flavor. But overall it's a great brew. Let me know how yours turns out.

Mine turned out amazingly!! So good in fact there is only 1 bottle left...boo. Oh well...I'll do it again soon!

I'm all for dry hopping, especially Simcoe or Amarillo! Love that hop aroma! I dry hop in the secondary, using a sanitized (boiled) grain bag and whole leaf hops only. I'd be interested if anyone has a different technique...

sutepan said:
I'm all for dry hopping, especially Simcoe or Amarillo! Love that hop aroma! I dry hop in the secondary, using a sanitized (boiled) grain bag and whole leaf hops only. I'd be interested if anyone has a different technique...

I usually use pellets and just throw them in loose even if I don't rack it over to a secondary fermenter.

Latest posts

Back