Where to find citra hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojzis

Reaction score
I know they are pretty much sold out. Any idea when/where to buy once they become available?

There is another thread on the topic, but farmhouse brewing has some 2011 and will get more 2012 at some point.

Austin Homebrew has them (at an insane price). The big retailers like MoreBeer and Northern Brewer obviously contract even more hops than the smaller sites, but they don't release them the moment them get them and space them out throughout the year (I spoke with a representative at MoreBeer that explained this to me during a call in which I was accidentally shipped Chinook instead of Citra). Citra was actually available on MoreBeer practically all year for a few weeks at a time on and off despite the demand being relatively similar to right now.

My understanding however (via Farmhouse on this very site), is that the Citra harvest hadn't been completely processed yet and will still show up on Farmhouse and other sites, but not on any particular schedule. It does seem from my shopping trips that Citra is going to be less rare than Amarillo though (The company/farm that owns the Plant patent on Amarillo only allows them on 5 farms and a significant number of those were allegedly hit with flood damage (even though there was a massive drought this year). I picked up lots of 2012 Simcoe without issue, but 2012 Amarillo was tougher.)

Check Chicago Brew Werks. Last time I was there he had 30lbs of citra. He has a website that you can order from and have shipped.

I have never ordered from here, but ran into it during a 3 hour google session searching for a good kit. You can try here they seem to have lbs for $21.60. You may want to contact them to make sure before ordering though.

http://www.brewbrothers.biz/Citra-US-Pellet-Pound

I bought a pound of citra form them after seeing this post. They shipped very quick and the amount was on target. :ban:

Found some today at my lhbs in Rochester. They had citra and simcoe. Went in there for a new racking cane and was pleasantly surprised!

Obliviousbrew said:
Yamikavalleyhops haves pounds of citra leaf for 18.99, shipping it´s $5 por up to 4 pounds.

I just checked their site and they are out of stock.

Niko has some coming in the next week, he posted max order 100# per order and cheaper than his 2011 price

I picked up four ounces of citra and two of simcoe. Never used either before. Anyone have a suggestion on what to brew? I was hoping to throw em in with cascade or centennial in a blonde, pale, or ipa.

Ahhhhh... Did I miss out on all the new 2012 hops?!?! Please someone help me out and point me in the direction of Simcoe, Amarillo, and Citra :)

Ahhhhh... Did I miss out on all the new 2012 hops?!?! Please someone help me out and point me in the direction of Simcoe, Amarillo, and Citra :)

Simcoe is easy to find. Amarillo is pretty much gone. Citra is around, but not super common and will probably be around throughout the year. That said, here's links to Simcoe and Citra 2012 (still in stock)

Citra 2012 pounds available here: http://www.graintoglasshomebrew.com/product_p/10108321.htm

Simcoe 2012 pounds available here: http://www.graintoglasshomebrew.com/product_p/10132321.htm

(Simcoe also available elsewhere in pounds)

The acreage for Citra was much larger than last year, Simcoe is really popular and has a lot of acreage as well, Amarillo has a very miserly patent owner who allows few plantings and most of the fields where its planted got hit with floods.

2012 Citra pellets are also available from Rebel Brewer:
http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/Citra-Hops-(US)-%2d-1oz.-Pellets.html
I e-mailed to confirm they are the 2012 crop.

Those are a bit more expensive, though; I personally recommend just buying them in pounds if you can since Citra's mostly used in beers that require a lot of them.

I will say the demand on everything but Amarillo has gone down significantly from the first offerings a month or so ago.

Back