Too much sediment - what do I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g1r2u3m4p5y6

Reaction score
Sorghum malt seems to throw a lot of sediment. Currently when 1st ferment finished I bottle, add some food for the yeast & tuck away, nice & warm, for 2nd fermentation. Result OK but a lot of gunk in the bottom of the bottles.
There must be a way to rack off, maybe add some finings and then bottle with a lot less sediment as a result. Can someone please advise how best to do this please?

How long do you wait for the first fermentation to clear? And how much yeast sediment are you looking at?
Any beer will have some sediment done this way since after fermentation yeast is still floating around, slowly settling. Chilling the beer (aka cold crashing) helps. Other finings help clear beer as well. If you do neither of these, then you're pulling this sediment into the bottles. Also when you add the priming sugar, that in turn lets yeast repopulate which creates more sediment. Also, if you wait for a long time for it to clear, or rack to secondary and wait for a while to clear, that helps the clarity as well.

g1r2u3m4p5y6 said:
There must be a way to rack off, maybe add some finings and then bottle with a lot less sediment as a result. Can someone please advise how best to do this please?

Use a secondary?

rack to secondary from what i understand is to run your beer to another container, usually glass, to ferment for a second time. helps to clear your brew. this is only my second go at brewing, my first was a wheat beer. but being a coeliac obviously i couldn't drink it. so this time i've tried a gluten free sorghum brew. considerably more sediment, also i used hops pellets in this brew which i didn't use in my wheat beer. i've just added finings now it has finished ferment and put into a coolroom which is at a steady 4-5 degrees celsius. fingers crossed this will help to clear it up a bit!! i will post up how this goes, i've read i should leave in the fridge for at least a couple of days.

From my very limited experience, the GF grains need to be milled pretty fine and create a bunch of flour. That is going to make it into the fermenter. You'll want to cold crash, use a secondary, or just give it some extra time to settle.

1/2 of a Whirlfloc (not sure I spelled that right) tablet added at 15 minutes really helps the beer clear in the primary. When I use them, almost all of the starch and protein haze drop out arround day5 in the primary ( there is a lot of haze in a sorghum wort)...I also use a secondary, but really dont think its nessassarryfor clarity as much as just to age the beer and reduce off flavors (whitch could also be done in the bottle).

Back