Dry hopping in hop bags?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McGlothan

Reaction score
Hi,

Im about to dry hop for the first time. My brew has already been racked to secondary. I don't want the hops to end up interfering with siphoning to my bottling bucket. Anyone have a good method to using hops bags?

Thank you,

Shawn

I toss my hop pellets straight into primary for dry hopping. I usually only end up with a few little hop bits in my kegs when I'm done siphoning.

I was going to toss them straight in like you say. I was just worried they wouldn't settle in a week, which is how long the recipe says to dry hop. I don't know how or why Ive been sold on the secondary fermentation because a lot of people seem to not bother with it. It seems as if my beer starts changing so much immediately after racking to secondary.

If you are using pellets, they will almost all settle out in week. I've siphoned into a keg in as few as 5 days the majority of the hops had already settled at the bottom of my bucket.

Back