How do you like your Hot Wings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hot Wings - Breaded, Naked, or Special Sauce

• Bread is to feed the chicken, not put on it

• Coat the wings and fry

• Marinated wings with a dipping sauce

• You'll never get my secret recipe

Results are only viewable after voting.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
Bought my brother in law a small fryer set up from Bass Pro for xmas, he's not much of a cook but he loves wings so I also bought about 8 lbs of wings and drummettes (is this new packaging) to take down and fry up with our Portillo's Italian Beef.

Me personally, No Breading and I'm up for any kind of sauce, but buffalo is the default unless I think others would eat it. One of my buddies likes non-breaded but he prefers to put just a little flour dusting on the wings and let them sit over night, says it helps with the crispiness. Any secret recipes or tricks?

No breading. Soak them in the sauce, fire up the charcoal grill, grill them almost done, throw them back in the sauce, then back on the grill to finish & bake the sauce in. Serve with Ranch. Blue cheese is unamerican.

I love to fry the wings first and then toss them with a nice sauce. I feel like they come out nice and crispy.

Second favorite way is the grill.

nothing beats a good fried wing.

sauce... butter, dash tabasco, Louisiana hot sauce, franks hot, pepper.

pour all sauces into pan and turn on low heat
add butter and stir until melted.
your sauce is now ready to be put on wings

or make to your liking.

-=Jason=-

EDIT: I do like a boneless wings for ease of eating. I have mine cooked with sauce on the side so they stay crispy.

No breading. I marinade them then fry or grill, then toss in sauce. Simple and delicious.
Marinade
- Beer
- Extra Virgin olive oil (only if grilling)
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Minced garlic
- Paprika
- Sriracha sauce

Sauce
- Butter
- Minced garlic
- Sriracha sauce

Either nothing or just a light dusting of seasoned flour then fried. Sauce is just your favorite hot sauce thinned with some butter. I like my wings simple.

I do mine naked, fried and tossed in sauce. I have several sauces I make from scratch but for the general population I would do straight Franks Red Hot (butter is for pansies:p). Toss with sauce and serve with bleu cheese. Ranch is for salad and since the best bleu cheese in the world is maytag and is made in my hometown of Newton, Iowa I don't see it as unamerican.

Bake, toss in Franks Red Hot, let marinate in the fridge for a day, bake again.
Quick and easy for lazy folk like me

I chose coated, then fried. Don't confuse that with breading, though. I do a very light dusting of flour that's just enough to make 'em crisp. Frank's is great sauce. Believe it or not, the Hooters sauce that comes in a jar is pretty good, too.

EdWort showed me a delicious new take on wings. Coat the wings with a rib rub that has a bit of sugar in it. Lightly smoke 'em for about 45 minutes at 300° F. Eat them as is or give 'em a bath in your favorite wing sauce.

I like breaded, but sometimes I go naked. I make a varity of sauces. I like to experiment so I make wings about twice a week and usally make 2 sauces at a time. It also depends on who is eating them, some of freind's like them real hot and some don't. For the Super Bowl last year I made about 150 wings with a varity of 5 sauces. One of the ones I made was with Ghost Chili powder, Ghost chili hot sauce and butter, those came out a little spicy.

EdWort showed me a delicious new take on wings. Coat the wings with a rib rub that has a bit of sugar in it. Lightly smoke 'em for about 45 minutes at 300° F. Eat them as is or give 'em a bath in your favorite wing sauce.

YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!

I ate at a bbq joint the other day that has wings free with every pitcher. Only they cost you, cause as soon as you taste wings done like the above, you can't stop! smoky, lightly crisped. WOW!

In my experience, this is the best way to prepare wings:

Toss in Frank's Red Hot, and bake them until they're nearly done at like 350ish. Take them out, cool them off, THEN fry at 350-375 and toss with sauce. This ensures your wings will be really crispy and they won't take as long to deep fry.

I like them fried and buffalo-style (no breading, typ wing sauce, with a good bleu cheese dressing). Sometimes a little garlic powder in the sauce. I really like Marie's Super Bleu Cheese dressing (in the refrigerated dressing section of my produce dept), it has like 25% more crumbled bleu cheese in it.

Any secret recipes or tricks?
Not really a trick but I think they turn out better if you shake them in the wing sauce the instant they come out of the fryer. Then don't cover or enclose them. The uber hot wing will help 'boil off' the excess vinegar/liquid leaving a crispy butter/spice coated wing (covering/enclosing them will tend to decrease the crispiness).

I use a combination of dry spices then I toss them on a charcoal grill. While on the grill I baste them with a little teriyaki sauce.

After they are done I drizzle them with a homemade sauce. Basically the sauce is: butter, Texas Pete hot sauce (local sauce similar to Frank's),teriyaki, and spices.

Then dip em' in Ranch Dressing. (Around here, a fella could get called a "[insert homophobic slur here]" for serving his wings with Bleu Chese dressing.)

No breading!!!

Here is my Secret Recipe.....

Buy the largest Wings you can find.

Cut them into three pieces and save the tips for stock or toss them.

Place a wire rack into a cookie sheet and put the wings on the rack be sure they don't touch one another.

Put the cookie sheet in the fridge uncovered for at least 8 hours better if they are left for 24 hours. (this drys them out a bit)

Sauce.....

1 Stick of Butter
1 medium sized bottle of Franks
1/2 bottle of tabasco (small bottle)
1/2 Teaspoon of Celery Salt
A little juice from a jar of pickled Jalapenos
1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
Couple pinches of Cayenne

After the wings have dried, deep fry them in 365' oil until they are crsipy (about 6-8 minutes)

Drench them in the sauce and enjoy.

Naked flappers. Fry them up till crispy and toss them with Anchor Bar sauce. This is one of our favorite camping meals. Yum!

I love grilling my wings, but getting some good advice here! Got a new grill and I think I'm going to start smoking them when the weather gets a bit better here. But I grill them (seasoned with a simple cajun seasoning), and then toss in my wing sauce when they're done. Here's my wing sauce recipe... makes the best wings I've ever had... but I'll admit that I'm biased:

2 c. Frank's (or red devil... but franks tastes way better)
2-3 cloves garlic
2-3 large fresh jalepenos (or about 1/4 c sliced jalepenos)

1/2 - 2/3 c butter

1 tsp each:
onion salt
fresh ground pepper
cayenne pepper (powder)
sugar

1/2 tbsp garlic powder

I put the garlic cloves, jalapenos, and some franks in a blender and puree, then put everything else in a saucepan to simmer for 5-10 mins. After its done, i cool it and whisk it in a bowl with a mixture of 3 egg yolks, 1 tsp water, 1 tsp vinegar, 2 tsp corn starch (this helps thicken and holds the butter and water together so the sauce doesn't separate).

Also makes a great buffalo chicken pizza :) Put sauce on a pizza crust with some chicken, mozzarella cheese, jalapenos and black olives... ranch to dip or put on top after cooking.

I like mine w/o the breading and dipped in my wing sauce. It's a variation of BW3's spicy garlic sauce. Fantastic.

Spicy Garlic

* 1 Cup Frank’s cayenne pepper sauce
* 1/3 Cup vegetable oil
* 1 Teaspoon granulated sugar
* 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
* ½ teaspoon course ground black pepper
* ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
* ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

nothing beats a good fried wing.

sauce... butter, dash tabasco, Louisiana hot sauce, franks hot, pepper.

pour all sauces into pan and turn on low heat
add butter and stir until melted.
your sauce is now ready to be put on wings

or make to your liking.

-=Jason=-

EDIT: I do like a boneless wings for ease of eating. I have mine cooked with sauce on the side so they stay crispy.

Fry+vinegary hot sauce and butter= superduper

I like mine w/o the breading and dipped in my wing sauce. It's a variation of BW3's spicy garlic sauce. Fantastic.

Spicy Garlic

* 1 Cup Frank’s cayenne pepper sauce
* 1/3 Cup vegetable oil
* 1 Teaspoon granulated sugar
* 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
* ½ teaspoon course ground black pepper
* ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
* ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

That's pretty much the recipe I based mine off of... really good stuff!

Went to a homebrew club party Saturday where everyone brought a 'covered dish'. Several folks brought wings but none were fried, they were a mix of grilled/baked, some were marinated, some rubbed. Reinforced my belief that the best wings are deep-fried. You can grill 'em or smoke 'em or roast 'em or whatever and they might not suck but imo just bite the bullet and deep fry 'em.

Back