bucket vs. carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what do you use as a primary

• carboy

• bucket

Results are only viewable after voting.
Your gonna get a ton of opinions on this. Really, it doesn't matter. I use a bucket because hot wort can break a carboy, buckets are also 10 times easier to clean due to the larger opening. I use a carboy for my secondary fermentations.

I use both, but won't buy another bucket. I like to watch my yeast do it's work.

And as has been said before, glass just looks cooler. When friends or family are over, it just isn't that interesting to show them your white bucket.

I like buckets. They don;t break like glass. Can be re-purposed if retired. And can use a liner to keep from worrying about scratches. Then they can be stacked for storage.

7.9 gal wine bucket for 5 gal batches. No blowoff worries, no skunking worries.

Switching back to mostly buckets for primary, carboys are a pain to clean, especially at the new house without a big sink...

Still do 5-gal carboys for big beers that need long secondaries...

Bucket. Bucket are cheap, effective and safe. Why safe? Just do a search in here about shattered glass carboy. They can be dangerous ( : http://brewing.lustreking.com/articles/brokencarboys.html ) . I just didn't read any advantages of glass carboy over plastic bucket as far as primary fermentation is concerned (other than the look... which I couldn't care less).

If I do secondary, then I use glass carboy and I am extra careful. I put rubber gloves, wear a winter coat, and only do small displacements with it.

Carboy:
Pro's - you can see inside of it.
Con's - harder to move around, need to cover it, PITA to clean

Bucket:
Pro's - easy to clean, no threat of light exposure.
Con's - Top can blow off, cannot see inside.

I use both. If I know it's going to be a long ferment I use the glass so I can monitor. If I know it's going to be a blow-off threat, I also use glass. Otherwise I use my buckets.

Back