Welding Place would not fill my co2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJC16

Reaction score
I went to my local welding place to get my co2 tank filled and since the set screw that holds the wheel (blue) broke off and it was not secure. Does anybody know where I can find a new set screw to repair it? I was able to get it filled at a paintball place but it cost me 17 dollars for 5 lbs when the welding place would have charged me 8.

1020091203a.jpg

1020091203b.jpg

Look up a fire safety shop, my local one is Koetter Fire Supply. Cheapest fills and hydro tests, and they should be able to fix your tank.

I don't know the rule with CO2 tanks but it seems weird that neither of my acetylene tanks have a wheel on them you use a little wrench on the valve stub and it looks looks just like the pic of your tank without the wheel. The wrench is chained to tank though that may have something to do with it . I have a 10 lb one for plumbing and a 20 lb tank in the garage and they refill them all the time. I would think an open valve would be a little more of a problem with flammable gas .Both of these tanks are from the 50's

Maybe they were busting your balls ?

Someone could possibly open the valve, remove the wheel, and drop it somewhere inaccessible and everyone in the room asphyxiates. Safety guidelines are based on worst case scenarios I suppose.

same could happen with my tanks .. Maybe if the wheel was somehow attached to the tank. Little chain and some JB weld ? I would just take a left handed drill bit and try to get the broken piece out first but not many people have access to them. Gets f'd up just tap it a little larger .

Edit: maybe just JB weld the head from a small bolt on there .

Latest posts

Back