Adding 5.2 PH Stabilizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeerguy

Reaction score
I am just about ready to heat up my mash water and I just wondered when to add the 5.2 PH stabilizer? The instructions say to place 1 TBL of 5.2 in the Mash Tun while mashing in.

So I should put the grains in my mash tun, then put 1 TBL (I am assuming Tablespoon) of 5.2/per 5 gallons water in you kettle. Then put the mash water on last?

Do I need to add more 5.2 to my sparge water?

My recipe says to collect a total of 6.5-7 gallons of wort. Should I base the 5.2 off that, or the final 5 gallons after boil? I am just all confused

I just add the 5.2 to my mash water as it is heating up in the kettle.... and I usually don't add a full tablespoon... maybe 1/2tbl. (and I do 5.5gal batches)

Did you mean 1.2 teaspoon?

Just to mention, I also add it to my sparge water, so I can sparge hot and not worry about tannins.

I just added 1/2 tablespoon...sorry hard to type and try and watch tempatures :)

Would I be safe adding another 1/2 tablespoon or do I already have enough (I am assuming TBL is Tablespoon not Teaspoon correct?)

Yes to adding it only once (to the mash water).

According to the web (and I know the web is never wrong!), you add 1 tablespoon per 5 gallon batch, regardless of quantity of water. So, put it in the first water you use (the mash) and voila you are done!

Did you mean 1.2 teaspoon?

Just to mention, I also add it to my sparge water, so I can sparge hot and not worry about tannins.

Unnecessary according to 5 star, I had a nice chat with one of their reps. Although he did say you can't hurt anything by putting it in the sparge, it doesn't do anything.

He also says that myth sells a lot more product.;)

Unnecessary according to 5 star, I had a nice chat with one of their reps. Although he did say you can't hurt anything by putting it in the sparge, it doesn't do anything.

He also says that myth sells a lot more product.;)

Thank you everyone for the speedy responses! I feel like such a dummy sometimes but I don't want to mess it all up :mug:

Thank you everyone for the speedy responses! I feel like such a dummy sometimes but I don't want to mess it all up :mug:

If you get some ph strips you may find you don't even need 5.2. I used it for 30+ batches without even needing it.

Latest posts

Back