DME & LME - Brand Name Subs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pistolero

Reaction score
I'm trying to gather up the ingredients for a Traquair House Ale clone, and I'm finding that my LHBS doesn't carry the same brand names that are called for in the recipe. Are all of the top brands pretty much interchangeable?

For instance, the recipe calls for M&F light DME, yet my LHBS offers either Munton's Extra Light DME or Royal Light DME. Will one of these suffice, or do I need to mail order.

Also, the recipe calls for John Bull light malt syrup, but the LHBS carries a generic light LME. Am I safe in using the stuff I can get locally?

TIA

I don't really know for sure but I've always used Muntons Extra Light when I add in LME to the mix because the LME usually comes out a bit darker than I expected no matter what brand I use. As far as brands go I've not noticed any difference between Coopers, Muntons, or Alexanders (the only ones available locally). Then again, that's just my somewhat limited experience.

They have M&F Extra Light DME but no Plain Light DME? That's odd. I also find it odd they don't carry any John Bull extracts. :confused:

Plain Light DME is pretty much the standard and what I always use. I've never heard of Royal Light. Is that what they call it in France? ;) Whatever that stuff is, it may work.

As for LMEs, I think there are real differences between them. Traquair House is a Scotch Ale (doing an AG version myself next month), so you may be able to substitute the house LME. For my extract stouts, I used nothing but John Bull Dark.

I'd recommend (from my experiences) using DME exclusively, and getting it as light as possible. I doubt the brand name will matter a whole lot.

One of the most highly criticized issues with extract brewing is getting the right color, and you'll be able to hit it closer by using the lightest DME possible and then tweaking with steeping a quarter lb. of whatever lovibond crystal to get your target color.

ORRELSE said:
I'd recommend (from my experiences) using DME exclusively, and getting it as light as possible. I doubt the brand name will matter a whole lot.

One of the most highly criticized issues with extract brewing is getting the right color, and you'll be able to hit it closer by using the lightest DME possible and then tweaking with steeping a quarter lb. of whatever lovibond crystal to get your target color.
Makes sense to me. The recipe I'm trying calls for:
5.5 lb. M&F light DME
3.3 lb. John Bull light malt syrup

So I could skip the John Bull and just go with ~8.25 lbs of light (or extra light) DME?

NO! There is a difference in liquid and dry.

POUNDS OF
GRAIN LIQUID DRY MALT
1.0 0.75 0.6
1.5 1.13 0.9
2.0 1.50 1.2
2.5 1.88 1.5
3.0 2.25 1.8
3.5 2.63 2.1
4.0 3.00 2.4
4.5 3.38 2.7
5.0 3.75 3.0
5.5 4.13 3.3
6.0 4.50 3.6
6.5 4.88 3.9
7.0 5.25 4.2
7.5 5.63 4.5
8.0 6.00 4.8
8.5 6.38 5.1
9.0 6.75 5.4
9.5 7.13 5.7
10.0 7.50 6.0

You'll need to straighten out the chart. Just cut and paste it into WORD.

homebrewer_99 said:
NO! There is a difference in liquid and dry.
Yes, I thought I took care of that:
5.5 lbs DME + 3.3 lbs LME = 5.5 + 3.3/1.2 = 5.5 + 2.75 = 8.25.
I'm probably way too into the Irish to be operating a calculator at this point I guess. :eek: How much DME should I be using? :confused:

Back