Hows this for bottle cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdcmast

Reaction score
So tonight I picked up about 10 cases of heineken bottles from one of the local bars. I missed the other beer delivery/pickup but ill be getting brown glass next time. So anyways I took the 10 cases home and started to clean them up.

As I was going through them I noticed that some had mold on the bottom, I set these ones aside and recycled them. The ones that didnt have visible mold on the bottom I soaked in hot water with clorox cleaner with bleach. They sat for about 15 minutes in the solution then each got a good scrubbing from my bottle brush. I dumped the water out of them and then submerged them in a 15 gallon tote filled with bleach water mixture. They will sit in there for a few days minimum.

Think this is good enough cleaning. I will still be sanitizing with iodine before bottling. This was just the initial cleaning.

That seems pretty obsessive. I just soak mine in oxyclean for a few hours while I'm delabeling and then rinse. Never even used my bottle brush once.

Glass shouldn't harbor any bacteria or anything unless there is crud in the bottom.

Yea I know I usually do what you do on my personal bottles. Quick rinse out then sanitize. But these bottles I didnt know who they came from, they defintiely werent washed prior to storing, and there might have been some bad guys on the bottoms. Rather spend an hour cleaning bottles than dumping bad beer.

It is a little over the top, but you're right about it being better to spend the extra time cleaning as opposed to ruining a batch. Better to clean/sanitize too much than not enough.

I've yet to see a single "OMG, I used too much Star San/Iodophor, and ruined my batch!" thread. Cheers.

I was given two cases of old school Bud bottles that had been out in a barn for 10 years or better. I spent two days scrubbing out spiderwebs, dead bugs and who knows what. When I got done there were still some major mineral deposits inside that no amount of brushing would get rid of, even when I put the bottle brush on my cordless drill. In the end I ended up filling each bottle with pure vinegar and letting them set for about 24 hours.

Back