How do you fix a Lactobacillus infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slackerlack

Reaction score
I have a Robust Porter that has been aging in a wine barrel for a few months. We took a taste of it and it seems to have a lacto infection. It is cloudy, has that lacto flavor, and is a little sour.

Is there a way to fix this?

Can I throw another bug in and make it a sour?

Or should this be an unfortunate dumper?

I have a Robust Porter that has been aging in a wine barrel for a few months. We took a taste of it and it seems to have a lacto infection. It is cloudy, has that lacto flavor, and is a little sour.

Is there a way to fix this?

Can I throw another bug in and make it a sour?

Or should this be an unfortunate dumper?

I don't know about making it a sour, but if its got lacto, its a done deal.

If it has lacto you have the start of a great sour beer. You can add the White Labs "sour mix" and come up with something great.

A robust porter should be too hoppy for most lactobacillus, at least the ones that make pleasing beers. It's possible it's pediococcus, which still makes lactic acid, but also a lot of diacetyl. It's more likely that you have acetobacter. How long was the barrel empty, how did you prepare it, and is it completely full?

Back