Temperature Fluctuation - Standup Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnyjim

Reaction score
Hey guys,

If there is a proper link that already answers this please link and thanks.

I am curious about temperature fluctuation with a standup freezer. Myself and NailsU1 are brewing a coffee porter saturday with fermentation temp calling for 63 degrees farenheit. I know about temp fluc. but does anybody with a standup freezer that is temp controlled have any issues maintaining temperatures?

My concern is setting the freezer for 63, having it rise to 68, and then dropping back down. Just looking for any insight. This is our first time using this type of setup.

Put a jug of water in it with a thermometer in the liquid and see where the temperature settles with that setting. At least you'll have a reference, but fermenting wort is gonna generate some heat, so some further adjustment may be needed....

I use a custom made temp controller using the STC-1000 and I just set it and it keeps the temp with in .3* C of what I set it to.
There is no temp fluctuation.
am I just a noob and don't realize what you are doing or why you want the temp to fluctuate like that?
I am using a upright Soda fridge only fluctuation in temps is the top of the cabinet is always 2* warmer than the bottom.
that's it..
When the fridge runs it stays on point as well. (I have the probe taped with bubble wrap to my fermenting bucket.)
sorry just trying to understand your question more myself.

I suspect the typical fridge thermostat has a larger differential than what can be achieved through other facilities.

I have two fridges and a keezer in my brewery and they all use external controllers with probes attached to the sides of carboys or kegs and covered with inch thick closed cell foam. I can set the controllers for as little as one degree of differential without constant cycling. The actual air temperature within these units is likely all over the map, but it's the beer temperature that's important...

Cheers!

I suspect the typical fridge thermostat has a larger differential than what can be achieved through other facilities.

I have two fridges and a keezer in my brewery and they all use external controllers with probes attached to the sides of carboys or kegs and covered with inch thick closed cell foam. I can set the controllers for as little as one degree of differential without constant cycling. The actual air temperature within these units is likely all over the map, but it's the beer temperature that's important...

Cheers!

here, here.. I understand and do the same thing.
I didn't realize you could control the temp to 63-68 degrees on a upright freezer without some kind of external temp controller. (I don't have one to know this.)

Yes you are right it is the beer temp that is important. I have multiple (3) other thermometers in my fridge and the temps vary. Kinda stinks when I start putting four 5 gal buckets in there over the coarse of a few months. the ones I just put in need the most attention but it can kinda play games with the others. lol
I had left the probe on a brew that was sitting for 2 weeks then put a new brew in and just put a temp probe on it and it went up to 77 before I swapped the temp controller probe over. but then I felt like the others where getting chilly. ugh. can't please all the yeast but we try!

OK guys, thanks for the answers. Yes they are essentially external temp controllers that are controlling the temp of the freezer itself. I know it's the beer temp that matters so we have probes that we could tape to the carboy to regulate the internal temps based on that of the carboy, in particular when it's fermenting.

The best thing for me to do really is to do this brew and find out how the temp control works on my system and fridge. Hermes in the future? We shall see....

Back