DIY - Fermwrap help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered from that site. Easiest dyi project I've done. I use mine on Better Bottles. I measured the circumference and order 75% of that length. I place my temp probe centered in the gap of the heat strip.

I ordered from that site. Easiest dyi project I've done. I use mine on Better Bottles. I measured the circumference and order 75% of that length. I place my temp probe centered in the gap of the heat strip.

How well does it controller with the temp probe stuck to the outside? Which controller did you choose?

Usually, I use the controller from the "Cheap eBay Temp Controller" thread. I believe it is an aquarium temp controller. I have also used my dyi Arduino temp controller.

I have held a five gallon Better Bottle at 100F with the eBay Temp Controller for the lactic fermentation of a Berliner. I set the range of the controller at 1F. I used 2in blue painters tape to secure the corners of the temp wrap to the Better Bottle. I taped the temp probe under a piece of reflective bubble insulation and then taped the insulation to the side of the Better Bottle. I put a sweat shirt over the entire thing. I think it ran at about 60% duty cycle.

I wish I had pictures. Let me know if you have more questions.

I am using it on my first batch in my new ferm chamber right now... I have a new ferm chamber (chest freezer) build linked in my sig. I have not updated yet to reflect my brew this weekend though... will up date soon.
Basically, I control the chest with one controller and individually control each carboy with it's own thermowell'd (is that a word) 15 gallon fermenter with 12" wide heat tape spiraled up the side. I am laggering a batch in the chest right now and have a Dus Alt in fermentation at 55*F. It is holding beautifully at target temp.

Yep. Bought the tape from reptile basics, used some spare extension cords I had; whipped them up according to instructions. Work great.

I have held a five gallon Better Bottle at 100F with the eBay Temp Controller

You held it at 100F using the flexwatt and an STC-1000? You wrapped the flexwatt around the fermenter directly, right? Do you think it will work the same if it's just lining the inside of the chamber of a small mini-fridge? I'm trying to do the same thing (sour worting) for some brews. I have it installed in my ferm chamber but it doesn't seem to be heating much/at all...

I didn't secure the wires enough an when I replaced the wire cover on the STC-1000 I knocked one loose. It's working fine now. Brought a water bottle up to 99F before I turned it off. I bet it will go higher with time and less of me opening the door.

USMCPayne, sounds like you have your system working. I love the flexwatt. I use it for lactic fermentations at 100F, saisons in the 80s, and heating up wort if I chilled it too far below pitching temp.

I always wrap a sweat shirt around the fermentor (either a corny or better bottle). I leave the fermentor sitting on floor.

USMCPayne, sounds like you have your system working. I love the flexwatt. I use it for lactic fermentations at 100F, saisons in the 80s, and heating up wort if I chilled it too far below pitching temp.

I always wrap a sweat shirt around the fermentor (either a corny or better bottle). I leave the fermentor sitting on floor.

Yup, I got it working. Works GREAT so far! That's exactly what I plan on using my FlexWatt for (souring at 100F and working saisons with 3724). I'm REALLY impressed with the heat that the 12" tape puts off. I bought 4 feet from ReptileBasics.com and trimmed it down to about ~3.4 feet to fit the back and side walls of my mini-fridge.

Back