Beer Can Chicken

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hurst1979olds

Reaction score
We'll Im new to this forum. Im still checking out all the sections. The other weekend I cooked up some Beer Can Chicken. It took a little getting use to cooking this. First time I cooked it I ran out of gas. The next couple I had flare ups. Well I got it pretty much down pat now. Last year we had the inlaws over and I cooked up 2 at once. I only use Yuengling for my beer can chicken and thats my main beer....I dont home brew as of yet. Only Mr. Beer is what I have done.

The grill i use is a Chargriller with a side firebox for smoking. But I have yet to smoke anything this year. I hope to learn some new tricks on here.

293276_534522138331_25636307_a.jpg

553749_534522243121_1801231405_n.jpg

Thanks for the compliment. With my beer can chicken I actually get a good amount of flavor in it. Ive seen on the internet when I first started that some people put something in the neck hole. Like a potato, onion, lemon, etc. I usually use a potato or onion.

Hmm. I may have to try that Spatchcock. It looks interesting to cook it like that.

Did a beer can chicken yesterday. I used water because I did not have any canned beer. I do not notice a flavor improvement with beer, personally. Plus I rub some seasonings on the bird, so that would cover any subtle flavor and aroma. My wife really doesn't prefer a beer can bird. I grilled a few breasts for her instead.

But she loved the yellow squash and zucchini I roasted with olive oil and parmesan. For me it was just ok. The idea was nice, but I'd change the recipe a bit to make it tastier for me. Maybe a bit of kosher salt is all I want.

Beer Can Chicken is a cool idea, but tends to yield less than promising results. There are far better methods to cook a chicken IMO. Enjoy your beer in your glass instead.

I love cooking a yardbird this way. I like to put a couple pieces of garlic and some seasonings in the beer can. The first half of the cooking time, I also like to make a little foil tent to go over the bird. I like to think it helps keep the moisture in. :drunk:

Best way is to do it on the smoker. I do these pretty often. I'm more proficient at smoking food than I am brewing beer, and will occasionally do both at the same time!

Sew up the top with toothpicks to seal it up good. Keep the moisture in there. I'll do a maple rub on the bird, and use something like a brown ale or stout. I also wet rub the chicken the night before and use the same beer I put in the can.

250* in the smoker with maple/hickory/apple mixture and it's great.

Latest posts

Back